News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Studio Acusticum, Pitea, Sweden

Started by revtonynewnham, June 11, 2010, 09:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revtonynewnham

Hi

This strange beast was mentioned on another forum yesterday.  http://acusticumorgan.com/specification

It looks interesting - but quite how it would be used remains to be seen!  I've not got time to have a proper look at the web site for a few days, so I'll make no further comment!

KB7DQH

Apparently they have a "live feed" video stream of the organ as its being built...
The console and wind system parts have arrived, so this should make for an interesting "as it happens" education in the assembly of a pipe organ.

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

Barrie Davis

Hi
There is a lot of discussion about the mutation madness of this scheme on another website, after having looked at the specification of the Harmonics Division I have top openly admit that I would not know how to use some of the mutations being specified. There must be some logic behind the design, but I fail to see it, maybe Im getting old.

Barrie

David Pinnegar

Quote from: Barrie Davis on June 16, 2010, 09:37:35 AM
Hi
There is a lot of discussion about the mutation madness of this scheme on another website, after having looked at the specification of the Harmonics Division I have top openly admit that I would not know how to use some of the mutations being specified. There must be some logic behind the design, but I fail to see it, maybe Im getting old.

Hi!

Yes! Quite agree. But it does depend on how the rest of the instrument is voiced. Arthur Harrison's Great Trombas were voiced dull just to add power with his Harmonics, too often converted into a Mixture, with a Septieme to add that sparkle.

But I can't imagine what one does with sharp harmonics.

This is why my instrument at Hammerwood Park is intended partly as a breadboard to try things out at low cost before investing in expensive pipework. I have a Septieme available, which is interesting but rarely used and have played with a None and Onzieme - interesting but not interesting enough to persuade me to implement them permanently.

More important than Harmonics is the ability to go into unequal temperaments and that gives real joy.

Best wishes

David P

KB7DQH

Can You Say, "Additive Synthesis"? I Knew You Could...

Reading around and looking at their Youtube videos and such, it is hinted that the Harmonics Division
would permit "hundreds of microtonal steps" per octave...

So it may in fact be capable of temperamental experimentation with real moving air...

and also the possibility of human speech synthesis ??? :-\

We shall find out soon enough, the pipework for one of its divisions is installed and now playable...
although not voiced yet.

Voicing work will begin as soon as the prospect pipes (all of which speak) get installed.

It is expected to take TWO YEARS to complete the voicing process... after which the instrument will be sampled in its entirety, to be made available for installation in Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ...
and with a suitable internet connection, it will be possible to play this instrument remotely from your
Hauptwerk console. 

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

NonPlayingAnorak

Quote from: KB7DQH on September 27, 2010, 02:31:53 PM
with a suitable internet connection, it will be possible to play this instrument remotely from your
Hauptwerk console.

So my friend who's getting a Hauptwerk organ could sit in his music room in Surrey making pipes in Sweden sound in real time?! Surely you just mean that you get to play an electronic programmed via Hauptwerk with samples of this ridiculous organ?

KB7DQH

As it would likely require several seconds for the signals to reach the organ, play the note, and be relayed back from the concert hall to your speakers, the purpose of having the sample set on the "local machine" is to eliminate the latency for the player...
QuoteSo my friend who's getting a Hauptwerk organ could sit in his music room in Surrey making pipes in Sweden sound in real time?!
Yes!!! Or, as "real" as your internet connection (and theirs) will allow...........

Really, any MIDI-enabled instrument when connected via the appropriate hardware can be theoretically played from any place with suitable access to the World Wide Web...

Eric
KB7DQH

KB7DQH

The inauguration of this instrument is likely either in-progress or has already concluded as of this writing... followed by a symposium until the 22nd of this month ;)

Eric
KB7DQH