News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

York

Started by diapason, December 07, 2011, 10:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diapason

I've just spent a couple of days in York and was disappointed to see this very fine three-manual in St Michael Le Belfry out of use.

http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=N12769

The console was surrounded by boxes and a church member told me that he hadn't heard it played in more than 20 years.  At the front of the church is a large stage with music stands and there is a large and comprehensive mixing desk in a 'control room' at the back.  The church was decribed to me a 'happy-clappy on stilts'.  Very sad.

At St Helen's, Stonegate, the church is no longer used for Anglican worship but hosts a weekly Chinese service in Mandarin for which it appears that an electric 'piano' is used.  The organ looks to be neglected.

http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=N03918

N

MrRandomPerson

Hey, I realise this is an old thread but thought I'd add a few bits I know about these two organs.

The organ at St. Michael's is indeed unplayable, according to NPOR it's been unplayable for at least 10 years, probably a lot longer. Your description of "Happy-Clappy on stilts" is very accurate - just be grateful you didn't see the monstrosity of a projector screen they have! Quite how they got it approved without bribing the DAC I will never know.

As for the organ itself, restoration will cost >£500k, possibly into the millions, however it's considered by someone (Not sure who) as historically significant so it is not in danger of being scrapped. I'm told that St. Lawrence's in York are after it for their church as they have been making do with an electric. They are currently trying to raise funds for it, and St. Michael's have said if they can raise the amount needed to rebuild it, then it's theirs.

The organ at St. Helens is regularly played as far as I know, and there is a regular series of recitals held there, at the Minster and at St. Martin's round the corner. I met a guy before Christmas who was an assistant organist there so rest assured it is being well used!

David Drinkell

I was in St. Helen's last September. The organ is in good form.

diapason

Glad to hear that all is not lost.

David Pinnegar

With a lot of discussion happening on Facebook rather than forums nowadays I often wonder about the continuing usefulness of this forum - the cost of the server is significant - but the fact that this thread has been read over 1000 times says a lot and encourages . . .

Is it possible for members to encourage more to use it for questioning about organs, musical discussion and the spreading of enthusiasm?

Best wishes

David P

diapason

I find this forum very useful - there are a number of very knowledgeable people here.  Might it be an idea to promote it on Facebook/Twitter?

Nicolette

Yes. I wouldn't like to see this forum go.
Nicolette Fraser, B. Mus., ARCO