News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

One of the greatest organists takes his leave of us - Heinz Wunderlich

Started by MusingMuso, March 13, 2012, 09:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusingMuso

With great sadness, I have learned of the death of Heinz Wunderlich on March 10th, at the age of 92.

I'm sure more will follow, but briefly, Heinz Wunderlich ("Heinzy" to his friends and many pupils) was perhaps the greatest exponent of Reger's organ-music; having a direct link with Reger and Karl Straube, and the author of many definitive recordings of the master's works.

It is a personal loss to me, for Wunderlich was the organist who, along with Germani, inspired me to take an interest in the music of Max Reger, which led to a lifelong reverence and enjoyment of it; both from the playing and listening points of view.

Undoubtedly, all good and even great things must come to an end, and we may only rejoice in Heinz Wunderlich's life and art, which will live on through his many recordings.

A poignant moment indeed, and the loss of a supreme artist.

The following link gives details of his life and work, as well as a list of his many organ compositions:-

http://www.thediapason.com/Heinz-Wunderlich-at-90-article10175

May he rest in peace.