News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Asbestos and pipe organs

Started by Holditch, July 15, 2012, 05:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holditch

I am about to commence the dismantling of a 1960's Rushworth organ with a mind to installation into another church.

My question is with regards to asbestos and the use of this material in building pipe organs. I know about the possibility of asbestos lining blower boxes, but does anyone know if the material was used to line swell chambers? Up until a few years ago it was used in all sorts of things (kitchen floor tiles, shed roofs, etc)

The organ we are dismantling has a fibrous board lining the inside of the swell chamber, and it dawned upon me that asbestos might be lurking, or am I just being paranoid?

Any advice would be most welcome

Best wishes

Marc
Dubois is driving me mad! must practice practice practice

Barrie Davis

Hi Marc,

I would strongly advise you to get an expert in to look at the lining, asbestos was used in all kinds of unlikely places.

At my last church the heating pipes runnung through the organ were covered in the wretched stuff but it had been concealed.

Where is the Rushworth coming from out of interest???

Best wishes

Barrie

Holditch

Hi Barrie

Its coming out of a church in Wythenshawe Manchester. I think we are going to leave the swell chamber in situ and not remove this as the shape will not really fit into the church its going into. We shall be building a new organ case to house the windchests. More to be revealed when I've got all the parts out and safe (the roof has been leaking in quite badly for a few years now)

Best wishes

Marc
Dubois is driving me mad! must practice practice practice

revtonynewnham

Hi

I've never heard of asbestos used to linde a swell box - but that doesn't mean that it wasn't done!  Either don't touch it at all (unless there are loose fibres or dust, untouched asbestos should be OK to work near - with care) - or get an expert in to check.

Every Blessing

Tony