News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Has anyone considered.............

Started by KB7DQH, March 31, 2013, 11:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KB7DQH

...................stained, blown glass pipework?  A recent post here got me to thinking, as I have had this concept rattling around in the back of my alleged mind for quite some time now... and I thought to finally present the "collaborative concept" which in many respects combines two of the art-forms commonly found within the "worship space" which normally would in some (many?) instances ordinarily present a practical and aesthetic conflict... for which after resolving some "technical difficulty" might instead present an intriguing opportunity? 

And it so happens that one of the premier, globally-recognized blown-glass artists (Dale Chihuly)  as well as two of this country's most respected organ builders (Paul Fritts and Martin Pasi)  happen to have their fabrication facilities located within the same county?

??? ??? ??? ???

Eric...
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

KB7DQH

"Read" over 260 times and this is the only reply :-[ ??? :o :o :o :o
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

David Drinkell

A problem would be that pipes made like this would be very difficult to voice. While one could perhaps file down the lips, such things as the optimum position of the languid and delicate nicking would seem to be virtually impossible.  I suppose one could make a type of traverse flute, blown externally - it's been done before - but the difficulties would seem to outweigh any benefits.

dragonser

Hi,
I won't suggest using perspex ( acrylic ) or a simlar material as I think it is difficult to work with ?
Wood and Metal do seem to have advantages here and can at least be painted.
I have also heard ( I think ) of plastic pipes being used where there was the problem of the lead pipes being stolen.
regardsPeter B

David Pinnegar

Hi!

Glass pipes could be used quite easily as the resonators mounted on conventional metal to the languid . . . sitting on a rim soldered on. The effect could be extraordinarily beautiful and Helmholtz would have approved.

Plastic drain pipes were used by an amateur in the 1990s in Hastings - sadly I have lost his details - but he made a home organ with such pipes as well as a more extensive church instrument for a church in Czech Republic where metal theft was feared.

It would be interesting to see someone else take on the idea. They were plastic drain pipes from the local builders' merchant

Best wishes

David P

JBR

Quote from: David Pinnegar on June 19, 2014, 11:20:58 AM
Hi!

Glass pipes could be used quite easily as the resonators mounted on conventional metal to the languid . . . sitting on a rim soldered on. The effect could be extraordinarily beautiful and Helmholtz would have approved.

Plastic drain pipes were used by an amateur in the 1990s in Hastings - sadly I have lost his details - but he made a home organ with such pipes as well as a more extensive church instrument for a church in Czech Republic where metal theft was feared.

It would be interesting to see someone else take on the idea. They were plastic drain pipes from the local builders' merchant

Best wishes

David P

That's interesting.  How did he get around the variations in scale?  Or did the sound get very much more 'flutey' as he went up to the top of the keyboard?!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

KB7DQH