News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Schulze pipe scales

Started by ComptonNewbie, August 05, 2013, 01:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComptonNewbie

Some time ago I acquired an octave of treble pipes, claimed to be from a Schulze Cello rank.  Does anyone have a record of typical Schulze scaling to compare?  If it is likely that they are, I might try to use them in the practice instrument that is (very) slowly taking shape here, otherwise they are likely to remain in the dusty box they've been in for a while.

Simon.

David Wyld

It isn't the scaling that will lend much authenticity - are these pipes wooden?  Do you know which Schultze it's supposed to be?

If they ARE wooden, the construction and details of things such a blocks, caps and the mouth details (beards, ears etc.) are the tell-tales, plus any inked marks on the pipes.

If I had a fiver for every time someone has told us that "......the Oboe in the Swell is a Cavaille-Coll rank!"...........

DW

Gwas_Bach

Isn't St Peter's church in Hindley supposed to contain the most well-known Schulze string ranks? Or have I remembered this wrongly?

ComptonNewbie

Were all the string pipes wooden, or was the top end of a rank sometimes metal?    These are well made in spotted metal, which might rule them straight out of the equasion.

Simon.