News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

1987 Wyvern Touring Organ - Four Manual Console.

Started by squidgelet10, February 17, 2014, 02:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squidgelet10

Greetings each.
I recently purchased this instrument at auction, following the death of the owner.
It operates on what is now a rather primitive version of the Bradford Computing System, although it was the best of its kind at that time.
Cosmetically it is in A1 condition but does not presently function.
I have had it thoroughly checked over by one of the guys who helped to build it when it was still only a prototype: there were only four production models constructed anyway.
I have been advised that if I throw enough money at it there might be a chance it will function again, although there can be no guarantee of this. It will also require ongoing maintenance.
His best advice is that I gut the thing and sell it on as a Haupwerk conversion project which is what I feel inclined to do, if only to recover my initial costs.
I would naturally prefer to have the organ working, but that does not seem destined to happen as I don't have that sort of money at my age.
Does anyone have any bright ideas please?
Do I sell as a complete console? Parts/Whatever?
I have pix available, but have a problem uploading 'em here.
Many thanks.
Be good!
Cheers.
Mike C.

David Pinnegar

Dear Mike

Welcome!

Sorry about the problem of uploading photos - we changed server some time ago and getting permissions and the like set up is a nightmare. What about FaceBook?

Have you any idea of the sort of things that might not be working properly? Bad contacts and dried out capacitors are the normal culprits - and I have a 1993 Makin which has been progressively failing so personally I face the same problems . . .

What part of the country are you based in? Can I suggest you might join the EOCS as there is expertise there . . .

Best wishes

David P

squidgelet10

Hi David.
Thanks for your response. I have never heard of EOCS, but have had a quick "butcher's" so will perve it more later.
How long have I got (as I am notorious for my rambling!)?
I am really glad I have gotten hold of you. :-) I wish I had known of you and your website back in 2008, when I launched the original restoration project for England's OLDEST Wurlitzer Cinema Organ at Beer (Devon) www.beerwurly.co.uk !
Co-incidentally young Ben Scott, who was later briefly associated with the project, has already acquainted himself with your own "house" organ I notice.
Fortunately I was recently made aware of your good self and organmatters.com by and old organist friend, Nigel Parkin.
I have uploaded three pix here, as I won't touch Fake Book with the proverbial "barge pole":
<http://www.theatreorgans.com/beerwurly/1.jpg>
<http://www.theatreorgans.com/beerwurly/Wyvern.jpg>
<http://www.theatreorgans.com/beerwurly/Wyvern2b.jpg>
The guy I mentioned who inspected the beast is actually Colin Peacock (MD Renatus Ltd) and knows Wyvern organs inside-out, which isn't always the best way to know 'em! This particular beast is the first organ he worked on when he joined Wyvern Organs as an apprentice in 1987, so I don't think I will get any better help or advice than I have already received from him. :-(
He has already said that the inbuilt processors are basically screwed, hence my original question: Do I flog it as one unit, or part it out?
I am located in dear old (flooded) Somerset.
Stay good!
Cheers.
Mike C.

jwillans

Hi Mike - I too would suggest going the Hauptwerk root.  The conversion would not cost a lot if you were to do the labour yourself and it would make a great project.  The resulting organ would be significantly better than the Wyvern ever was - listen to some of HW instruments on http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/home/dashboard.

Kind regards,

James