News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Organ Pipes on eBay!

Started by Fr. Otto, October 31, 2014, 09:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janner

Fr. Otto, PM sent.

Best,

Janner.

Fr. Otto

But it's HIDEOUS! At least Willis - like Scott who did the splendid Angel-roof (& the Case?) made everything look Gothick, and therefore and thereby fitting in with the lineaments of the building, whereas Grant/Regens/Rippins/Bradbeer (rather like the Reynolds windows) shout 'This is new, modern, in accordance with the latest canons of Taste...': the 'Hermeneutic of Rupture', rather than the 'Hermeneutic of Continuity'. Plastic Swell-shutters, forsooth!
f#

David Drinkell

It was startling when it was new, admittedly, although there are a few other George Pace designs around that are similar in outline (I like his work, generally), but I like it.  There are, after all, a number of distinguished modernist cases in great Gothic churches in Europe, to say nothing of the wealth of Baroque cases in Gothic surroundings which should, logically, be just as incongruous.  I guess it's all a matter of opinion.  I don't like all modern cases, and I do like gothic revival, but I like New College - both the case and the instrument inside it.

Terz

I also like the New College case.  It is a shame that after all these years, recent work has included stop changes (so I am told).

David Drinkell

I hadn't heard of any stop changes, although I did hear that some revoicing had been done.

Terz

According to text on the New College website it seems Paul Hale was consultant and he supplied the following:
The stop-list has been changed thus: Positif None 8/9ths and 1ft Octav now on the Swell in place of the Teint, which is removed to store; Sesquialtera 12.17 replaces them on the Positif. Great Messing Regal 16ft removed to store and replaced with a 'French classical' Vox Humana 8ft; 16ft Quintade revoiced as a Bourdon, with a new wooden bass. Pedal Subbass/Flute revoiced; 4ft Rohr Schalmei replaced with 4ft Trompete; 32ft Fagot receiving a full-length bass (was half-length). New coupler - much longed-for - 'Swell to Positif'. Should be good! Paul Hale

David Drinkell

Ah - thank-you!  Those changes would make the instrument more flexible and address a few weaknesses.  In particular, I remember one of the organ scholars when it was new stating definitely that the odd mixture in the Swell should be called "Taint" (sic).  Such things were popular in Germany and among a few enthusiasts here, Maurice Grant included, but they relied to some extent on a fuller foundation and a bigger acoustic.  It was very difficult to find repertoire which used the New college Teint.  Mixtures at York University were similarly straightened out many years ago.

Speaking for myself, I would miss the Messingregal and Rohrschalmei, but I don't have to play the thing every day and the new disposition will obviously be much more useful and not just a pandering to those of us who like renaissance rude noises....