News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

James J. Binns, 1917, Two Manual, Organ Falling Apart

Started by travellingorganist, January 07, 2015, 03:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

travellingorganist

Organ by James J. Binns 1917 for the English Baptist Church in Abercarn has almost had it. Church is still open but no services conducted in a long time. IIP 11 Binns organ [V00119] on NPOR has now fallen into a bad state after someone in the church turned off the de-humidifiers in the console. Most of it was working before hand. Not sure whether church will stay open or close as its all falling apart. 

Anyway, organ split into 2 cases. GT and PD in Left, SW in right. Two comb pistons to GT and SW and balanced SW pedal. Binns TP action throughout.

Stop List: PD Bourdon 16ft, Bass Flute 8ft. GT - Open Diapason 8ft, Dulciana 8ft, Gedact 8ft, Principal 4ft. SW - Geigen Principal 8ft, Rohr Flute 8ft, Vox Angelica 8ft, Suabe Flute 4ft, Oboe 8ft.

Couplers GT to PD, SW to PD, SW to GT, SW to GT oct, SW to GT sub oct, SW oct, SW sub oct.
Many Thanks,

travellingorganist

revtonynewnham

Hi

Very sorry to hear this.  Sadly, it's all too common a story these days, leading to a glut of redundant organs.  I know of another Binns, a 3 manual, that sits unused in a Baptist Church that also has severe problems with the building.  Binns organs are usually well built - but their normal pneumatic action doesn't like sitting unused.

We need to pray for a revival!

Every Blessing

Tony

Barrie Davis

Hi, I agree with Tony that this is very sad, I suppose they were trying to save money by turning the power off. I know of one church where the organ is still in place but totally hidden by a false ceiling, they use a keyboard for the services now.

Best wishes
Barrie

travellingorganist

I know there are many organs in this position. But is there anyway to help maintain them? I would have gladly helped maintain them myself. But I have no experience on fixing the action mechanisms or tuning etc. There are alot I know of and it will take ages to write about them on here. I've also managed to log them all on my computer and hopefully I can finally get them all on NPOR.
Many Thanks,

travellingorganist