News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

New practice organ on its way!

Started by revtonynewnham, July 22, 2015, 09:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revtonynewnham

Hi

Yesterday I ordered (thanks to selling a car!) a digital organ for my "music room".  I've gone for a Viscount Envoy 35, after having been offered a remarkable deal by my good friends at Promenade Music.  All I need to do now is make space for it (and try & cram too many instruments into the space!).  More later once I've got the organ, which uses "Physical modelling" technology rather than samples, and sounded very impressive when I had a demo recently.

Every Blessing

Tony

Bryan Moseley

I've been very pleased with my Viscount Cadet Compact 31 over the last couple of years.  It just (only just!) went round the corner at the top of the stairs into the spare bedroom - anything larger would have got stuck.  Being able to practice in the evening, in the warm, makes a huge difference.

David Pinnegar

Physical modelling sounds rather interesting. How does the whole instrument sound with this technology?

Best wishes

David P

Janner

There is a 'listen to this organ' button on the Viscount website but it doesn't appear to be working. There is a link to a performance on Youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-kbFnjDjwQ

Hope it gives you many hours of enjoyment Tony.  :)

revtonynewnham

Hi

Ghanks to those who've responded.  The organ arrives tomorrow.  David - I'll try and post a couple of recordings in the next couple of weeks (other commitments allowing!).  I had a demo of the Physis system when Viscount launched the new range of organs a couple of years back, and was very impressed by the overall sound quality - especially for the price.

Every Blessing

Tony

revtonynewnham

Hi

It's arrived!  It fits nicely in my music room - now all I need to do is shoehorn back in the various electronic instruments I moved out to make manouvering space to get the Viscount in.  I didn't get a chance to play it more than just confirming it was working yesterday - maybe later today.  Having turned down  the overall volume to a suitable level for the small room, I will have to increase the level of some of the softer stops - which should be a relatively easy job considering the amount of "tweakability" the instrument features.  I can see many hours of fun coming up - once I've got all the other jobs I need to do out of the way.  The joys of being retired!

More comment later, when I've got to grips with it.

Every Blessing

Tony

Nicolette

I use headphones for my home console (a Viscount Recitative), Tony.  They give dynamic/tonal freedom without upsetting the neighbours, as we're in a flat.  Have you thought of getting any?

Nicolette
Nicolette Fraser, B. Mus., ARCO

revtonynewnham

Hi

I use headphones when I need to - I have several pairs around the place.  I'd prefer not to be tied to using them though.

Every Blessing

Tony

Barrie Davis

I must say I played a Viscount Cadet yesterday and was greatly impressed by the sounds it produced, they certainly have improved over the years. The one thing that confused me was how to set up a new memory channel for the pistons, perhaps Tony can enlighten me!!

Barrie

revtonynewnham

Hi Barrie

Not got round to changing any pistons as yet - I've been busy with other things (musical arrangements for an instrumental group - recorders, Clarinets & maybe a Trumpet) for Harvest Festival, plus preparing for a mini-concert at church for the Harvest supper), and not too well.  I'd suggest ringing or messaging Viscount at Bicester & asking. They have a Facebook page too.  I'm intending to pop over to Bicster sometime soon to get a demo of ssome additional software for the Envoy.

Sorry not to be of more help

Every Blessing

Tony