News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Free Sheet Music worth a look

Started by David Drinkell, July 19, 2015, 05:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Drinkell

I'm starting this thread to spread information about free downloadable sheet music.  Perhaps members would post to bring attention to anything useful and pleasant that they've found on IMSLP or other sites.

I use IMSLP quite a lot.  There are some valuable big downloads - the Montreal Organ Book is naturally interesting to me - but the other day I found a very charming piece by the Ontario composer David Cameron (Brits note, not THAT David Cameron).  It's called "Meditation on Cornish", the tune being that sung to "Tomorrow shall be my dancing day".  Very pleasant, gently uneven rhythms and an attractive harmonic style.  Would make a nice voluntary or a quiet recital piece.

http://imslp.org/wiki/A_Meditation_on_%27Cornish%27_(Cameron,_David)

revtonynewnham

Hi

Looks interesting David - I've just printed it out - maybe I'll use it in a recital I'm giving later in the year.

For anyone else who wants to look at this, there's a slight error in  the link on David's post - it needs the final ), so copy & past rather than just clicking on it.

Every Blessing

Tony

Barrie Davis

Hi,

I haver downloaded it as well, looks like a good addition to pre-service music.

Best wishes,

Barrie

David Drinkell

Readers of "The Organists' Review" will have noticed the article in the current edition about Martin Bussey's "Three Lowland Sketches", which are available as a free download from the composer.  I got them and used them in a recital.  Nothing too difficult here, but three interesting, unusual and attractive pieces.

David Drinkell

Alec Rowley's Prelude on Picardy  is nicely crafted.  The sort of thing an able extemporiser might produce, but simple and effective.  Worth a look (IMSLP)

David Drinkell

Marche-Sortie by Dubois is worth trying.  Jolly, just vulgar enough and not difficult.  IMSLP.