News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

An interesting afternoon

Started by revtonynewnham, April 03, 2017, 09:41:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revtonynewnham

Hi

On Saturday afternoon I was able to get to a local "roadshow" arranged by Church Orgaan World (Johannus, Makin & Copeman-Hart, plus UK importer of Rogers organs).  It was very interesting to see and play a small range of instruments that they now sell - plus there was a large selection of CD's, DVD,s and sheet music to browse and buy - should have leeft my wallet at home!!!).

The venue was a church in Kenilworth that has recently been reordered nd Makin have installed a 3 manual organ with speakers (switable) at both West & East ends.  There was also a smaller Makin organ, plus an example of their custom built continuo organs, and the latest project  - the iLive, that has stop knobs that change wording when different sample sets are loaded!  In addition, there was a Johannus instrument designged for home practice, and a 3m Rogers.

It would be unfair for me to make anything othert than generalised comments on the instruments on the basis of a few minutes listening & playing in less than quiet circumstances!  Suffice to say I was quite impressed by the tonality of the budget Johannus - but then, it's been a couple of decades since I've played one of that brand.  Mixed feelings about the Makins (I didn't ry the iLive, but heard it a few times), and the Rogers is typically American - and fine for what it is.  All in all, an interesting expidition, and recommended if one comes to your area.

I should perhaps add that I'm more than happy with my current home organ, so I wasn't in organ purchase mode!

Every Blessing

Tony