News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Willis open day

Started by revtonynewnham, October 29, 2010, 02:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revtonynewnham

Hi

For UK board members, Willis have an open day at their factory in Liverpool (the former Rushworth & Dreaper works) on 20th November.  See http://www.willis-organs.com/

Should be well worth a visit if you're not too far away.  The works are within walking distance of the railyway stations - or there is on-street parking in the area.

Every Blessing

Tony

Holditch

Hello

Just a little report about the open day at Henry Willis

We had a very interesting couple of hours last Saturday visiting the organ works of Henry Willis. It was a bit like a child entering the largest sweet shop in the world, well for myself maybe not my wife!

Having never been to a proper organ builder's before, it was great to see the tools they use to create these wonderful instruments. What made the journey to Liverpool even more poignant to me was that we passed the church, St Cyprian's that the majority of my house organ pipe work came from. The church, which is in Edge Hill, is looking very run down now with many tiles missing from the roof (pictures can be seen on my website, www.thecavendishorgan.com), but my sadness was soon removed by the magic happening at Henry Willis, the work they do is truly timeless and long may it continue.

It is great to see that the great craft of British organ building is alive and well and growing stronger; the 32ft pedal reeds that they have just made for the New Zealand organ they are currently building were true amazing, the Willis website contains some good pictures showing the progress of this organ, http://www.willis-organs.com/

Best Regards

Marc
Dubois is driving me mad! must practice practice practice

revtonynewnham

Hi

The Willis web site also has pictures of their work on the organ here(Heaton Baptist Church) a couple of years ago.  They do a good job!  I've also played their rebuild at Lancaster Cathedral - impressive

Every Blessing

Tony

NonPlayingAnorak

The Lancaster organ was built originally by Henry Ainscough, back in 1889 IIRC... by pure coincidence (yeah right), my grandfather is called Henry Ainscough, and hails from that part of the world...

David Wyld

May I bring to the attention of those who might be interested - another Open Day at the Liverpool Works,  on Saturday 27th September.

The Leiden organ in underway and it is hoped that a part of it may be able to be played for the occasion (but I'm afraid we can't promise anything at this stage!).

Details can be found on the homepage at  www.willis-organs.com

DW

David Wyld

I've been asked to publicise the fact that there is ample free parking around the Works (especially as it is on a Saturday) and that Lime Street Station is approximately 7-10 minutes away (walking time).

DW

diapason

Sadly, too far for me to travel, especially as I need to be back in Somerset to play on Sunday.