News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Johannus surround amplifier and speakers

Started by diapason, December 08, 2011, 09:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diapason

Having just sold my Johannus organ, I have a Johannus surround amplifier and a set of speakers for sale.  The amplifier is a Johannus DAK-4.  It has DIN sockets for 4 speakers each of which have individual volume controls.  There are a large number of 'programmes' for different acoustic characteristics and volume for main and reverb.  The faceplate with the control labels is missing, but it is straightforward to set up.  I downloaded a manual for a similar model and this is included as is a DIN lead for connection to a Johannus organ and a set of speaker leads with DIN plugs.

The speakers consist of two column speakers about 40" high x12" wide and 18" deep.  They are divided internally into two halves, with two sets of terminals.  Each section contains a Vistaton 8" F170 large range speaker and a TW70 tweeter.  The bass speaker is 40" high x 18" wide x 18" deep and contains a Monacor SP300P speaker.  All the speakers are built into very strong and tidy cabinets with a light oak veneer.

Offers welcome before I put them on Ebay.  Located in Somerset.

N

David Pinnegar

Dear Nigel

I wasn't able to find out much about the DAK 4

Presumably this is a complete reverberation system . . .

In your opinion how successful was / is it?

Currently I'm using an Alesis reverb for a short reverberation mainly from the front and an ART Acoustics Resarch unit for a longer reverb in the heavens and at the back and it's quite successful using some bass speakers in the roof and some transparent flat panels that no-one notices visually on the walls.

Occasionally I notice perhaps one or two notes which show a marked resonance but other than that, the effect is adequate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoqQ9sEeDPo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-UCFA3EahI

Do you think your unit might give better service? What sort of ball-park figure are you expecting?

Might it be able to improve the acoustic of some pipe organs using a microphone near the instrument?

Best wishes

David P

diapason

Dear David,

This is a unit made by Johannus in the 1980's especially for their analogue organs.  It will, I think, suit other instruments.  The inputs are via DIN sockets, with two inputs for organs (it is possible to connect another source eg a CD player). There is also a standard 1/4" jack input.  The unit has four DIN speaker outputs which are intended for speakers in the corners of the building.  The outputs are partly reverb and partly additional 'main' sound from the organ.

I found that, even in a domestic setting,  the unit totally transformed the sound of my old Johannus Opus 230, but I'm not sure how it would stack up against a modern system.  I played a similar Johannus  with this reverb system in a local church (now replaced with a Rodgers).  Again, it added much to the sound.  In this instance, the speakers for the reverb were placed at the far ends of the rood screen.

I think that these units are now sought after, and there is one on Ebay in the US for £78.  I'm open to offers. The speakers are provisionally already sold (to a local DJ).  If you are at all interested, please let me know.  I'm guessing that postage will be about £12.

Regards,
Nigel

David Pinnegar

Dear Nigel

Thanks

Do you think it's solid state bucket brigade technology or spring lines? If it's 80s I'm guessing it might be bucket brigade devices.

For better or for worse, another forum member and I are planning a rescue of the Lancaster Priory 4 manual instrument and the chances are that it could possibly assist that wherever it be relocated.

Whilst writing on that subject, we are looking possibly for a school who might appreciate it as an educational resource. Can anyone think of somewhere where a 4 manual might be welcomed?

Best wishes

David P

diapason

Dear David,

Many thanks for your email.  I'm not sure about the technology. but it's very firmly from the 1980's.  I'm glad to hear that you're rescuing the Lancaster organ - I don't know whether this unit would work with it - if there's a way of taking a line out from the organ then it should work.  I'm not in a hurry to part with this, so I can hang on to it for a while if you want to try it. 

The local Independent schools have all got organs, although both Taunton School and Wellington School recently destroyed their 1930's Osmond 3-manuals and bought toasters.  It would be good to find an appreciative home for the Lancaster organ - I'll ask our local school - one of their music teachers is an organist.

Regards,
Nigel

keiths1956

Dear Sir,
Did you get my previous message in which I asked if the surround sound Johannus system is still for sale?
Thanks,
Keith

revtonynewnham

Hi

It doesn't look as if your previous post arrived - if it's relevant, maybe you could re-post it.  If you're interested in the items, I suggest a Personal Message to the member who made the original post.

Every Blessing

Tony
(Moderator)

diapason

I've still got the Johannus unit and it is for sale.  The speakers have been sold.  Please PM me if you're interested.

Nigel

David Pinnegar

Hi!

I'd be most interested in trying it out/buying but will defer to Keith as his need may well be more than mine . . .

Best wishes

David P

diapason

It's here gathering dust - I look forward to hearing from anyone interested.  It's quite heavy, so postage won't be cheap, otherwise it could be collected from west Somerset.
N