News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

KA 64 note switches

Started by Holditch, September 26, 2010, 02:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holditch

Hello,

Does anyone have any advice about cleaning Kimber Allen 64 note switches, and infact can they be cleaned?

I now have two of the flute stops now working on my small pipe organ, and one or two of the contacts seem to be slightly temperamental. These units were purchased second hand and I suspect they are atleast 30 years old.

One thing to note is that only a small current (milliamps) is flowing through these switches as I have a bank of transistors driving the direct electric action; I did think that the low current may be an issue. Ideally I would have built solid state switching circuits but that would have added another delay to the project.

Does the orientation of the switch have an issue, I have the solenoid at the top and the switch is pointing vertically downwards? I think this maybe does not matter as my 4ft flute stop operates fine so sounds like contacts to me!

Best Regards
Marc
Dubois is driving me mad! must practice practice practice

David Pinnegar

Hi!

Beyond simple sandpaper on each wire - hold the wire aganst the contact with the sandpaper under the wire and pull the sandpaper, try aerosol contact cleaner and thereafter something like:
http://www.tableauproducts.com/categories/silver-plating-solution/41

Best wishes

David P

Holditch

I thought as much!

However it appears to be getting better now, maybe the use of the switch after its non use for many years is now helping

Marc

revtonynewnham

Hi

Yes, operating the switches several times may well sort out most of the problems.  I generally use an aerosol cleaner - but that's only been on electronics (although if you're using transistor switches, the currents involved are much the same. Well designed switches have a "wiping" action where the moving wire slides over the fixed one, so to some extent should be self-cleaning.

Every Blessing

Tony

Barrie Davis

When the couplers on the organ I play get tempermental my organ builder has told me to pull the drawstop in and out several times and this cleans the contacts. The big reed on this organ is extended and pressing a key repeatedly will cure the problem.

Barrie

Holditch

Thanks for all your replys , the two stops are now fully functioning and sounding quite good. I will upload some audio as soon as I can.

I am quite afraid that the current set up may be a bit loud for the room the organ is currently in (very small). I currently have 8ft flute (which is a clarabella) and the octave couple 4ft flute working. I think the 4ft principal plannned is quite unnecessay,  I'm hope my neighbours won't mind!