News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Wanted: Compton console parts

Started by ComptonNewbie, January 16, 2012, 06:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComptonNewbie

As some of you know, I'm in the early stages of building a modest extension organ for my son.  Having found a suitable console, I'm now looking for parts to restore it.  At this stage I'm only looking for Compton parts, as these will be easiest to combine with what is already there.

I'm currently short of:

One swell pedal (complete)
One set of swell pedal contacts (I have the woodwork, but no electrical bits)
Two toe pistons
Various red (reed) stop tabs (unavailable new, it would appear)
Brass division markers

But would be interested in anything else that might be suitable for a late 1920s or early 1930s Compton console.  It's currently in a bit of a state having had much of it's original material replaced by 1970s plastic (some of which in turn is life expired), but hopefully can be made both usable & attractive over the next few months.

Thanks in advance,

Simon.

dragonser

Hi,
I just wondered if you had looked at the range of stop tabs that Kimber Allen make ?
they are located in Swanley Kent.
they do have an engraving service, and might be able to re engrave older tabs.
of course precisely matching the existing tabs may not be straightforward....

regards Peter B

ComptonNewbie

Thanks for the thought Peter.

I've got around half the stop tabs required as original ones, so would very much prefer more 80 year old ones if they can be found.  I have access to engraving machines, so can re-engrave original examples if they have the wrong text.   Originals would ensure a good colour match and are flat, unlike many plastic reproductions (unavailable in red) which have a distinct concave top surface in the plastic.

Another interest of mine is typography, so I appreciate the only way to get matching lettering is scan original examples and regenerate typefaces from that.

Simon.

David Pinnegar

Hi!

If I can find them I have a number of ancient stop tabs I bought amongst a whole collection of stopheads. They are vintage to the extent of some of them being well nicotine stained . . .

Ron Coates had a number of very beautiful Ivory stop tabs and others too at an EOCS organ jumble in the summer. It's worth contacting him.

Best wishes,

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi

Many Compton parts and reproductions are available in the UK Theatre Organ world.  Try Kevin Grunhill, for example.

Every Blessing

Tony

ebraintree

Hi - Have Compton Brass Division Dividers and Pedal Contacts. Regards - Ian Macnaught

diapason

The organbuilder Roger Taylor from Burrington maintains Downside Abbey.  He might well know of availabiity of scarce parts.  PM me for his address if you can't find him.
N

ComptonNewbie

Console restoration continues, as I try to get my head round wiring the thing up is a sensible and tidy fashion, to keep things maintainable.
Has anyone got a few spare thumb pistons?  The replacement manuals were never drilled so I don't need to keep to a specific size. 

Regards,  Simon.