News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Soundboard wanted!

Started by wjoefox, February 04, 2012, 07:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wjoefox

Hi all,

I am just wondering if any of you have a spare soundboard which would hold 8' flute pipes (suitable for a chamber organ). If so, I would be really grateful to know. I am considering thinking about building a continuo organ of some kind again, but the soundboard design is far too difficult for me.

Many thanks,
wjoefox.

ComptonNewbie

Depending on your expectations, you may be over complicating things.

Are you planning on using electric action?  If so, take a look at the products of a Mr 'Windchest' on fleabay for inspiration.  A simple wooden box, with direct pallet magnets underneath should do for your needs.

There is a risk with a secondhand chest that your pipes won't fit.  I have a chest here that is for a narrower scale (or metal) flute and my wooden Hohl Flute won't fit.  I'll probably put a Gamba on, but that wasn't the original plan.  You'll need to make up a new rackboard to support your pipes which is probably a third or the effort of making from scratch.  If you make up your own chest, you can make it to suit the space you have too.  If several short rows on a short/square chest rather than an 8' one are better for your circumstances, you have the choice.  The chances of finding a second hand one like this is low.

Just a thought.

Simon.