News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

compton stop tabs question

Started by dragonser, July 23, 2010, 10:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonser

Hi,
I know that Compton stop tabs come in two main types, the non moving type and the moving type where there are two solenoids built in.
I just wondered if anyone knew if it was possible to convert the non moving type to the moving type ? of course the solenoids would have to be wound and fitted in, but I just wondered if  anyone has done this.
and as another question to the experienced Organists, are having moving stops that much of an advantage ?

regards Peter B

revtonynewnham

Hi

Moving stops are very helpful - especially to visiting organists.  Despite warning lights, etc it's very easy to forget which "blind" combination is in use.  On a small organ with no pistons, then solenoid stop keys are obviously not required.

I don't know about Comptons, but I have a batch of basic stop keys which actually have the pole pieces for the coils in place, so adding the coils should be relatively easy.

Compton stop keys usually have a "double-touch cancel" facility.  (I say usually, but I've not come across any that don't have this).  With this, a depper, non-locking, touch against a stronger spring operates extra contacts that cancel all the other stops on the relevant department.  Very useful, especially for selecting solo sounds.  Compton seem to get that right, and I've never had problems with inadvertant cancelling, but after Rushworth & Dreaper took over Compton they tried something similar - but on the organ of theirs that I used to play sometimes, the springs weren't strong enough, making it fatally easy to go to add, for example, the Great Mixture and cancel the rest of the Great!  (Why put dt cancels on stops that you will never use by themselves?) - and even worse, it was applied to every stop key on the organ, so a slightly heavy hand on the Sw-Gt coupler would cancel the entire Great - not very helpful.

Compton Manual to Pedal couplers are usually arranged so that the second touch will clear pedal couplers to the other manuals, and manual thumb pistons usually use the 2nd touch contacts to call up a suitable pedal combination.  All very useful once you get used to it.

They also applied the 2nd touch arrangements to some of their drawstop jobs.

Every Blessing

Tony

dragonser

Hi
many thanks for the info, I never knew that they had second touch on some of their drawstops.
regards Peter B

Quote from: revtonynewnham on July 24, 2010, 09:19:15 AM
Hi

They also applied the 2nd touch arrangements to some of their drawstop jobs.

Every Blessing

Tony