Wurlitzers . . . Cinema Organs and Fairground instruments > Cinema Organs and Fairground instruments

Fitton & Hayley

(1/2) > >>

Can anyone advise of the style of draw stop knobs or stop tabs used on Fitton & Hayley (later Binns, Fitton & Hayley) organs?  I am interested in the few instruments they built for cinemas.  I believe some parts from at least a couple (Colwyn Bay & Scarborough are still in existence, but without much idea what original parts would look like, I am sure to overlook much in my searches.

The only image I have been able to find is a drawn catalogue illustration of a console which shows little which might be specific to this builder.

Regards,  Simon.

Hi Simon

There's a picture of a Fitton & Hayley organ, formerly in the Greengates Cinema, Bradford, at http://www.kingsdr.demon.co.uk/cinemas/ggates.htm#organ

This shows stop tabs, not drawstops.

Every Blessing


Thanks Tony.  I'd seen the picture in a few contexts before, but that is the most accessible.  Being a drawing for a catalogue illustration, I wouldn't read too much into it.  It was probably produced before the F&H made one, if anything like other advertisers of the period.  The illustration drums up interest, and one is only built if that interest becomes a firm order.  In any case, unfortunately it doesn't show any specific detail of engraving style or standard fittings to expect on an F&H cinema console.

I believe the larger (tubular pneumatic) instruments such as the Capitol, Scarborough probably had drawstops, not tabs, but have never seen a photograph of either style. 

Regards,  Simon.

David Pinnegar:
Dear Simon

I seem to recall you were looking for original stoptabs .. . .

These are the ones I have to which you're welcome:

Best wishes

David P

Hi David.

Any ideas on the origins of these (or even where in the country they might have originated?  They seem a very close match of F&H terminology for a few cinema organs.  Surprising colour scheme for the tabs - to the extent the colours make some labels diffucult to read!  What does the upper green one say, as I can't make it out even with the help of Mr Photoshop?

I presume they are a hard 'old' feeling plastic (close the bakelite) rather than the more shiney and slightly softer plastics of the 1960s?

Regards,  Simon.


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version