News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

St James Edgbaston Birmingham

Started by Barrie Davis, February 08, 2012, 07:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrie Davis

Hi

This organ really deserves to have a Grave stone.
It was built in 1877 by Henry Jones as a 3 manual instrument, rebuilt by Nicholsons who extended the Pedal Organ and then in 1891 added a Nave section playable from the main console. I remember the action to this section (tracker) being very heavy.
It had 2 32 ranks, one was quinted but the other went to c1, I hadnt realised that the Swell Reeds were on an early form of extension.
When I played it in the 1980s it was really in a dire state.
The building had been acquired by the BBI who were going to convert it into a Lecture Hall, but the vandals took over and the organ although partially rescued, but stored in the wrong place, a damp cellar, the whole organ was lost.
Henry Jones was an important builder and the Nave Section added by Nicholson was ahead of its time.
Please look at the details on NPOR 7334 Rev Tony Newnham knows far more about this organ than I do, but I feel it needs recording here.

Best wishes

Barrie

revtonynewnham

Hi

Yes - a couple of us, with advice from a retired organ builder, started trying to make this organ playable in 1977 - sadly we moved on before the job was complete - and severe dry rot in the building meant that the Nave section had to be removed shortly afterwards, and I suspect from then on a lack of anyone to care for the organ led to its rapid demise.

Every Blessing

Tony