News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Quinted Pedal Reeds

Started by Barrie Davis, February 08, 2012, 07:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrie Davis

Hi

I was organist of St Lukes Bristol Road Birmingham in the early 1970s the organ was a peculiar Conacher-Sheffield which had a Quinted Contra Tromba 32, this simply did not work are there any more examples of quinted reeds?

Best wishes

Barrie

David Drinkell

The touring organ which Harrisons' built for George Pattman had a quinted 32' reed.  It also had one 32' Bombarde pipe which played on each of the lowest 12 notes. 

Barrie Davis

Thank you for reminding me about that David, I have read about the Pattman organ in the H&H Story but had forgotten about the quinted reed on it.

Best wishes

Barrie

revtonynewnham

Hi Barrie

I remember the St Luke's organ - I used to practice there sometimes when I was at Birmingham Bible Institute.  I don't recall the quinted reed - prbably just didn't notice - but I do remember the Great & Choir sharing the lower of 2 manuals, something that I had come across once before at Acton Baptist Church in London.

Memories, memories!

Every Blessing

Tony

Barrie Davis

Hi Tony,

The church had some major building work undertaken and the organ was cleaned, when the work was completed, by Laurence Snell who removed the quinted reed.

Best wishes

Barrie

revtonynewnham

Hi
That could be why I don't remember it - it qould have been mid-1970's, and I only went in there very occasionally.

Every Blessing

Tony