News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Help needed against half term onslaught....

Started by ComptonNewbie, February 11, 2012, 09:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComptonNewbie

For me, the February half term is the worst period of the year.  The weather is too cold for the kids to go out and there is little organised 'fun' in low season with many attractions closed for refurbishment.  Can anyone help out by suggesting any daytime concerts or recitals (ideally in easily accessible central London) worth a visit to break up the coming week?

Simon.

dragonser

Hi,
I think that <http://www.londonorgan.co.uk/> has a list of some of the Organ concerts that are on in London.
I was going to suggest a visit to the Handel House Museum but all their musical evenings are sold out. of course that might not be appropriate if you don't like Harpsichords.
Might be worth a visit if you were going to be in London anyway ?
Also the Museum at the Royal College of Music  might be interesting.
<http://www.rcm.ac.uk/visit/museum/>

regards Peter B

AnOrganCornucopia

ComptonNewbie

There are only limited opportunities here in Milton Keynes, so a day out in London is usually a predictable success for the kids.

Simon.

AnOrganCornucopia

Here's an idea - the St Albans' Organ Theatre. Interesting place with a 3/10 Wurlitzer, a 3/6 Rutt, plus a load of mechanical organs, player pianos, an Aeolian Orchestrelle and a Hammond. Looks like it could be worth a visit. Bletchley Park is also very close to you. Are the kids at all interested in stately homes or steam railways? Waddesdon Manor and the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre (a large, well-developed attraction) are both quite close to you.

ComptonNewbie

Dragonser, thanks for the suggestions.  I think I've found the basis of something for the week now.  Surprised I hadn't tripped over Londonorgan before, but pulls together useful info in one place.

AOC, at the risk of digression, I must admit I was somewhat disappointed with St Albans.  I get the impression one is meant to sit through the standard spiel and go away suitably enlightened.  Any requests of a technical nature seemed beyond that day's volunteers.  I guess this is reflected in the change of name from 'museum' to 'theatre'.  Maybe the package is more satisfying on a evening concert visit for a performance.

Bletchley Park had much potential, but unfortunately most of the grounds were built on some years ago.  It really did deserve preservation, but fell victim to the recent housing prices boom.  It was a lovely place when it still had a bit of greenery round it.  The claustrophobic feeling of the flats overlooking what remains put me off going, though there is still some interesting material there.  There is significant cinema equipment in one of the display galleries, so I should go over again sometime.

I haven't been to Bucks Railway Centre for a few years.  I used to volunteer there until it became a bit too political for comfort.  When things fell apart I said 'never again' but guess I should see what's happening over there sometime.  Probably not this time of year though, as pretty much everything is outdoors.  The kids have been a bit obsessed by trains so music is a good alternative.

Simon.