News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Historic Organ Builder Query

Started by ComptonNewbie, February 13, 2012, 07:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComptonNewbie

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but couldn't see a better category.

I have a small (3 stop & coupler) relay in a plywood box.  It has the address 'Resonant Works, Linton Lane, Epson, Surrey', stamped on the inside.  Any suggestions on who this was?

Regards,  Simon.

AnOrganCornucopia

Almost certainly something to do with Corbett & Bielby of Epsom, of whom the less said the better.

ComptonNewbie

Having never heard of them, I presume they were a fairly modest local firm?

A quick web search brings up very little of relevance.

revtonynewnham

Hi

It could just be a parts supplier.  Elvin lists some in his various books - if you had a name it would be much easier, as, assuming the firm were in business pre-1950, DBOB (Dictionary of British Organ Builders) would probably have an entry and give a starting point for tracking down more info.

Every Blessing

Tony

matt h

Hi,

I'm fairly sure an organ builder called Percy George Beard worked there, whether he was part of a larger firm or not I don't know.   

Regards,
Matt.

revtonynewnham

Hi

And a couple of minutes on DBOB proves it - the info there reads:-

BEARD Percy G.
Floruit: 1931-1938D
Located: Epsom
Trade: ob
making organ percussions from 1931
Addresses used by this firm
Address      From   To
Lintons La,[Resonant Wks], Epsom   1934D   1938D
References for the information above
Trade Directories: Kelly London County 1934-38
BOA Beard, Percy G. file; leaflet etc
Rotunda 1931 /03, Vol.3, No.4, ad
Trade Directories: Kelly Surrey 1938
Cross references for this firm
Beard, P. - ?connection with

The P. Beard who may or may not have a connection is also on DBOB, active in London in the 1920's & '30's as an employee of Hill, Norman & Beard.

Every Blessing

Tony

AnOrganCornucopia

Modest is one way of putting it. C&B's work has the worst survival rate I have ever encountered - mostly rebuilds which have either been completely rebuilt again, eradicating their work, or rebuilds which have been scrapped. There are precious few survivals. They also built a number of small new organs in the 1950s, 60s and 70s - hardly any now survive. The very limited experience I have of their work would seem to confirm what certain older organists in this area have told me, which was that they were extremely poor instruments.