News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Paul Derrett's 'Benchmark' recordings

Started by Colin Pykett, April 19, 2011, 01:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Pykett

Prompted by a positive review in Organists' Review last November, I obtained the CD recorded by Paul Derrett in his 'Benchmark' series (in fact a kind relative bought it for me).  This one is volume 11 comprising tracks recorded on six very different and interesting organs in East Northamptonshire.

I very much recommend it.  The recordings have an astonishing freshness, being recorded in a single take with no editing, mixing or artificial reverberation added during subsequent mastering.  In fact there is no mastering.  Paul's playing is virtually flawless, a considerable feat given the sometimes difficult actions (!), the dry acoustics, and his choice of music matches the various instruments to a tee.  The way it comes over reminds me of some recordings made by Margaret Phillips from time to time on small to medium sized organs such as those in her own English Organ School, where she too achieves an all too rare liveliness and freshness.  Paul's sleeve notes are also full and informative, and there are some fine colour photographs.

I realise most of what I have said is subjective and others might not agree, but if you are interested the CD number is Benchmarks Recordings 806811CD.  I believe one can also sample tracks from it and others on Paul's website at

www.paulderrett.piczo.com

Happy listening!

Colin Pykett

David Pinnegar

Dear Colin

Thanks for mentioning these recordings. He's brilliant. However he refuses point blank to take Paypal which in this day and age is a very easy form of payment . . .

Perhaps you might encourage him to partake of this forum?

Best wishes

David P

Barry Williams

Dear Colin and dear David.

Yes, every recording by Paul is quite astounding, not least for the unusual and varied repertoire he offers.

I have tried to persuade Paul to join this forum, as yet unsuccessfully.  I shall try again shortly.

Yours sincerely,

Barry Williams

revtonynewnham

Hi

I also suggested this forum to Paul when the was banned from the Mander organs list (again) recently.

I've not heard any of the recordings (limited funds to buy CD's etc) but they have all had good reviews.

Every Blessing

Tony

David Pinnegar

Dear Tony

It seems that getting banned from the Mander list is somewhat de rigueur, indeed quite an honour nowadays  ;) :) Or otherwise perhaps a necessary rite of passage . . .

He clearly qualifies here.

Best wishes

David P

Barrie Davis

I too wish he would join this Forum.
Paul is through the Benchmark series enabling us to hear a wide variety of instruments spread through out the country. He plays each one with the greatest integrity demonstrating its full resources.
His knowledge of the organ is vast, my home town of Broseley had a fine 2 manual Walker moved from the chancel to a west gallery. I will not comment about the gentlemen who did this work, apart from saying they ruined it. Paul carried out remedial work on the organ bringing it back into a playable state and at little cost to himself.
He is a true gentleman and a very fine musician, I too wish he used Paypal!!!!

Barrie

james.fry

Just seen these postings, and although a little late, I'd like to add a few comments. I recorded and produced the first nine CDs in the Benchmarks series, as well as two others that you might not be aware of - The Organ Of Ledbury Parish Church, 806832CD, and The Organ of Downside Abbey, 806831CD. Both of these contain amazing performances, especially the Downside Abbey recording. The passion and energy you hear in his recordings is totally genuine, and I feel privileged to have been present for them (and I'm amazed that Paul walked away from the organ after the Downside workout!).

Paul is a true professional, and every word about the performances in the liner notes is accurate - each recording under the Benchmarks label is pure blood, sweat, and tears, with no editing other than what is necessary to get it onto the CD (ie appropriate level adjustment and fade in/fade outs between tracks to keep the appropriate atmosphere and ambiance). I think this is quite unusual with modern recordings, especially those that cram so many venues into short recording sessions. Most of the Benchmarks recordings were completed in two days (including travelling) and encompass at least 5 different organs! The logistics behind that are challenging alone, let alone playing a number of organs that are often in less than perfect condition with distinctly different character and actions.

Sadly, due to personal circumstances over the last few years, I am no longer part of the Benchmarks enterprise, but very pleased Paul is continuing doing what he loves and helping others to enjoy this fantastic music.

Pierre Lauwers

I also would be glad to see Paul Derrett here. I have some of these recordings, and recommend
them, also for the quite interesting british organs he uses.

Best wishes,
Pierre