News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Beautiful Bevington lives again in Sweden

Started by makemoreandmore, February 20, 2012, 12:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

makemoreandmore

http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=D06600

Restored and rebuilt by James Collier, this lovely organ now resides at a church in Gothenburg, Sweden.

The pedalboard, a later addition, has been removed.

AnOrganCornucopia

There's also a big Walker (ex-London Cadogan Hall) and a Father Willis (ex-St Stephen Hampstead, sharing a church with a replica Schnitger!) in Gothenburg. Holland is coming down with English organs, up to some fairly substantial 3ms (and now want to rebuild a Willis as a big 4m in Leiden, also keeping its original console connected), Germany is fast catching up (mostly very Germanic Keates and Brindley organs, though!), there's a Henry Williams in Norway and a C.H. Walker in Saarbrucken (both installed recently by van den Heuvel), the French are buying up quite a few (I can think of at least two Hunters out there, for example), the ex-Sandy (Beds) Baptist Hill/Conacher (inc.Hill's 1851 Exhibition organ) has gone to Belgium, plus I can think of a magnificent 3m Hill (ex-Rosslyn Hill Unitarian, Hampstead, very close to St Stephen's, which got a new organ) in Italy, along with a very French 3m Lewis (terraced console, Francophone spec by Guilmant, originally in a house in Camden, later in Eaton Methodist, Derbyshire)... van den Heuvel were also advertising a 3m Conacher for a while... why is it that the Continent seems far more interested in our organs than we are?! VdH even had to buy back their one UK installation as it rapidly fell from favour and it's now in their Dutch workshops... maybe we could overturn the trend and bring it back!

revtonynewnham

Hi

I'm not sure the comment about VdH is entirely accurate!

Every Blessing

Tony

AnOrganCornucopia

Which one? About the VdH being kicked out of the Royal Academy? That's what the late David Sanger told me: he was always a very reliable source, so I have no reason to doubt his word this time.