News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Hauptwerk trials with speakers at EOCS meeting 3 July Sussex

Started by David Pinnegar, June 23, 2010, 05:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

Hi!

It looks as though two people will be bringing Hauptwerk to the EOCS meeting on 3rd July in Sussex - one with a theatre organ emulation and another a chamber organ. This should put speakers through their paces. 2pm.

Please can you let Don Bray, Southern Region Chairman, know if you would like to come - contact details on http://www.eocs.org.uk/cntctus.html

I'm half a mind to put just a single stereo pair on the roof of the Porte Cochere if it's a fine day and see if, whilst playing Hauptwerk we can achieve any illusion of realism with a feel of an organ above our heads. Of course in mid air, bass will be lacking but it will be an interesting pointer for 8ft and above. Or we could do it on the South Front where the walls of the house will reinforce the sound slightly. However, both of these possibilities will be a little time consuming to set up, so any volunteers will be welcome and it's a long time since I have laid hands on the 2.5mm speaker cables I used to use for such setups. The speakers will not be the Mackies favoured by some manufacturers.

I'll also demonstrate a speaker that I'm working on for Tuba stops.

Other areas of interest are a foot blown pipe organ tuned to Meantone, and pianos tuned to unequal temperament which demonstrate the paucity of standard piano tuning. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41xRupc3Hz8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw8FjHvHu30

We might also plug a Hauptwerk machine into a pair of cheap speakers that I use for a couple of channels on "the beast" and, again, see if we have the illusion of a pipe organ on the balcony upstairs. A couple of channels could then feed a couple of esoteric units adjacent and having the opportunity to try various options will be an interesting experiment.

Of course, if anyone wants to grasp the nettle of playing "the beast", it will be available, but it's much more complicated to get to know than a Hauptwerk emulation of a conventional instrument. If anyone is interested in theatre organs, Percy Vickery's analogue instrument will also be available.

Best wishes

David P

KB7DQH

Define "cheap"... I consider myself "lucky" as I have found some decent examples secondhand for "almost nothing",  and then some audiophile takes pity on me and I come up with some really interesting stuff for "haul it away" (but then I have all manner of stuff I have "hauled away" ;)
like a pair of Dahlquist DQ-1 "low-bass modules" :o 8) with destroyed drivers :(  only the magnets, baskets, and one surround survive :(  but I have perfect cabinets and their original packing boxes!

I have subsequently used some salvaged transport-crate plywood (actually originally contained wireless infrastructure manufactured by Ericsson of Sweden so it must be good, right? ;) to fabricate a piece to allow a "standard" twelve inch driver to be fitted into the original opening...

The other I wish to, for the time being, remain unmodified, as I have identified a cone/coil/spider assembly that may fit well with the original surround and frame, and possibly parts of the original Dalhlquist magnet assembly... salvaged, from what appears to have been an old Leslie speaker!

Sounds like the meeting should be great fun!

Eric
KB7DQH

The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

revtonynewnham

Hi

It's a pity that I can't get to Sussex for the 3rd - but I'll be interested to hear about the results of the various trials, especially as I need to sort out some decent speakers (at minimal cost) for my computer simulator organ.

Hope the day goes well.

Every Blessing

Tony

David Pinnegar

Quote from: revtonynewnham on June 24, 2010, 09:33:39 AM
It's a pity that I can't get to Sussex for the 3rd - but I'll be interested to hear about the results of the various trials, especially as I need to sort out some decent speakers (at minimal cost) for my computer simulator organ.

Dear Tony

We'll be trying various things on the day including some hideously expensive types but for my instrument I use some extremely cheap units which I have now paired up well with some others to emulate the expensive ones.

These are on http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200484424052 and I'll be happy to give you a pair as a present and if you'd like more you're welcome at cost price. They can go into any cabinets for 8 inch units but if you don't mind cutting some thin MDF, I'll give you templates for cutting some enclosures which transform them up a notch and which I make extensive use of on my instrument.

For multi channel one could mount them in long boxes
one unit per compartment, interconnecting at the back wall with a 1/2 inch gap, each or each pair (if one uses the combination pairs) serving a seperate channel. These could be vertically mounted PA speaker style or mounted on the opposite wall horizontally to give space such as that you experience with the pipe racks above your head.

I'll also be demonstrating a unit using a child's toy . . .

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Thanks David

We'll talk further when I do visit later next month.

Every Blessing

Tony

dragonser

Quote from: David Pinnegar on June 23, 2010, 05:09:03 PM
Hi!
If anyone is interested in theatre organs, Percy Vickery's analogue instrument will also be available.

Best wishes

David P

Hi,
I hope to be able to get along and there should be something for everyone  !
I think it was mentioned that Percy Vickery's Instrument has double touch on one of the manuals and some of the thumb pistons ? or am I mixing up things.

regards Peter B

organforumadmin

Quote from: dragonser on June 25, 2010, 07:47:19 PM
Quote from: David Pinnegar on June 23, 2010, 05:09:03 PM
Hi!
If anyone is interested in theatre organs, Percy Vickery's analogue instrument will also be available.

Best wishes

David P

Hi,
I hope to be able to get along and there should be something for everyone  !
I think it was mentioned that Percy Vickery's Instrument has double touch on one of the manuals and some of the thumb pistons ? or am I mixing up things.

regards Peter B

Hi!

Yes - the Vickery organ does have double touch - it's an interesting and useful feature and technique to learn.

Best wishes

Forum Admin

revtonynewnham

Hi

I would second that - very useful and well worth mastering the technique.  The late Douglas Reeve used it when I heard him play many years ago - and more recently, Ken Double's use of double touch on the Saltaire Wurlitzer was nothing short of astounding.  In some numbers he was using dt to produce a rhythmic backing against held chords, with the melody on another manual - absolutely brilliant.

Every Blessing

Tony

David Pinnegar

Hi!

In addition, if there is time, I might do some playing with an introduction to French Baroque and French Classical with playing tips and registration.

My organ has goodness knows how many ranks of Trumpets, all with speakers honed to their tonality - even different types on a stereo "pair" to take account of French Baroque voicing and to cope with the Montre also coming through one of those channels - so it's ideal for the Grand Jeu and we also have a Grand Tierce.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi2pdYou-Rs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1YcEjz8Xro
(sadly my playing isn't that good . . . )

So if anyone else has party pieces in that genre, Hammerwood's a good place to come to rehearse them before going off to France!

Best wishes

David P