News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Church closing in kent

Started by Robin Stalker, February 27, 2012, 10:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin Stalker

My church is due to close in June this year. We need to find a new home for the organ. Details here http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=D03036

If anyone can help or has any questions, please get in contact

Thanks

Rob

AnOrganCornucopia

I presume the 32ft is a resultant?

To be honest, I doubt you'd be able to sell it complete - there are many more organs of similar size (which look far more appealing to my eyes, both in terms of stoplist and physical appearance) which are looking for new homes. However, it could be a useful source of pipework: what are its origins pre-1973?

makemoreandmore

I would love the Double Trumpet to complete the spec of our organ  ;D

Robin Stalker

Quote from: AnOrganCornucopia on February 28, 2012, 01:57:47 AM
I presume the 32ft is a resultant?

what are its origins pre-1973?

The 32 is taken from the Bourdon rank, quinted in the bottom octave.

I dont know the precise origins of all the pipe work. It has been alleged that most of the Sw pipework came from the demolished Congregational Church in Ashford ( maker unknown to me), and that the Gt came from the former organ in this church - possibly a Norman and Beard.

Roger Greenstead at Browne's may have records that confirm the origins.

The organ is far more versatile than perhaps the specs would suggest. Having heard the likes of Allan Wicks, Anne Marsden-Thomas, David Flood et al give recitals I would venture to say that there is very little that the organ cannot cope with. And, of course, it performs it primary duty, leading congregational singing, with gusto.

Robin

Robin Stalker

Quote from: thatminidotcom on February 28, 2012, 10:26:13 AM
I would love the Double Trumpet to complete the spec of our organ  ;D

Keep in touch - may be able to work something out. It's mitred full length

AnOrganCornucopia

If the pipework is mostly N&B it will be of extremely high quality, assuming the voicing hasn't been messed about irreversibly (my only experience of Brownes' work being the recent rebuild of the mostly-Hill at Godalming Parish Church - my only criticisms of that extend to the electronic 32s and the rather tacky plastic keyboards used).

Resultant basses rarely work well if they use one rank quinted on itself - how good/bad is this example?

Robin Stalker

Quote from: AnOrganCornucopia on February 29, 2012, 12:26:57 AM

Resultant basses rarely work well if they use one rank quinted on itself - how good/bad is this example?
The bottom octave is not too good under soft combinations, but works quite well under pining full organ

makemoreandmore

Looks like the church didn't close after all. Do you know what are the current plans?

Robin Stalker

Still planning to close - the delays go on and on and on.

Its very frustrating for all concerned - still hope to find a good home for the organ. We just need someone with a flexible time scale

Robin Stalker

Looks like I will be able to enjoy one final Christmas at Centrepiece.

Who would have thought it could take so long to close a church !

The organ still needs a new home.

Robin Stalker

Final Sunday service is March 3rd.

New home still wanted

Contra_Gamba

Is it still looking for a home?  What's the timescale?

Contra_Gamba

Just checked the NPOR which has been updated:

2013 - Church Closed on 3rd March, 2013; Organ purchased for export to Malta;

Robin Stalker

Yes - the organ will now be enjoying some Mediterranean sunshine. I shall miss it

David Pinnegar

Robert in Malta will certainly have a busy time dismantling organs in England this summer . . . Before long Malta will certainly be the place to go for an organ playing holiday.

Best wishes

David P