News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Stop tab query

Started by ComptonNewbie, April 01, 2012, 11:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComptonNewbie

As some of you may be aware, I am interested in the hybrid instruments of the 1920s which were installed in cinemas but showed close relation to their church-organ origins.  Many are described as 'Orchestral' organs, and show an curious mix of innovation and conservatism.

I recently acquired some early stop tabs (courtesy of David Pinnegar, of this parish) referring to departments 'Grand', 'Orchestral' and 'Pedal'.  They appear to match the stops for Fitton & Haley orchestral organs, but have detail differences to those on the Ikley Essoldo organ.  Did any other organ builders use this terminology?

Should anyone have any percussion tabs in a lurid green colour or reeds (especially Vox Humana) in a transparent yellow, please let me know.  I seem to have about half a set of tabs for an early organ and guess somewhere, the remainder is lurking.

Regards,  Simon.

David Pinnegar

Dear Simon

I wish I knew where the rest were - I bought them from a retiring organ builder in Derbyshire.

Have you cleaned them up yet or retained the dirt as "authentic"?!!!

Best wishes

David P

ComptonNewbie

David,

They cleaned up a treat with a little 600 grit wet & dry.  The staining was only superficial and the flues are now a soft ivory colour. 

Returning to the original question though, does anyone recognise the department names of 'Grand' & 'Orchestral'?  I'm not sure where to look to back up my assumption that this may have been unique to Fitton & Haley.

Simon.