News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Newcastle City Hall

Started by AnOrganCornucopia, April 20, 2012, 06:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnOrganCornucopia

Hello all. I was surprised to find this one hadn't already been mentioned - perhaps because the grim tale is all too familiar. 1929 H&H, recitaled upon by the likes of Dupré and Germani, 4/66ss. Barely maintained since 1970 or so. Now effectively unplayable, despite a small amount of patching-up performed in the late 1990s. From what I've heard the hall faces a somewhat uncertain future too.

http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=N04108

Anyway, things have stagnated long enough - time to test the power of social networking! PLEASE 'like' this page, which I have created: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Friends-of-the-Newcastle-City-Hall-Organ/272899419467146

Three forum members have already joined - thanks, Pierre, Eric and Sean!

Hopefully we can put pressure on the City Council and achieve something. We could perhaps attempt to act as a supporters' society, helping run fundraising events (although I realise I'm seriously out-of-area). One thing is for certain: the woeful neglect suffered by this landmark instrument cannot and will not be allowed to continue. Accept no defeat!

Edit: in addition to updating the count of forum members joined, I have also been informed that a bid for Heritage Lottery Fund support for the restoration of the hall (including the organ) has been submitted very recently. We shall see...

KB7DQH

"Liked" and "shared"... 8) ;)

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."