News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Howells on continental organs

Started by Pierre Lauwers, April 28, 2012, 04:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pierre Lauwers

An interesting discussion could follow this: Howells played on the Ladegast organ
of Merseburg Cathedral - the "Liszt-organ"-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJTDnGP5YHI&feature=relmfu

Best wishes,
Pierre

MusingMuso

That was interesting! 

Superb playing, but I was left with the distinct impression that Howell's music is very "organ specific," and whilst it may work on certain instruments in the USA, it is best heard inthe UK. I wish Noel Rawsthorne's performance of the same work, from Liverpool Cathedral, was available on You Tube.

That would make the point perfectly.

The last time I heard English music played on a "foreign" instrument, it was Cocker's "Tuba Tune" at Rotterdam Cathedral, (highly amusing on Spanish Trumpets with added Cornet), and a weird and wonderful performance of Harris's, "Flourish for an occasion" played on the same instrument.

I'm not sure those piece travelled terribly well also, but full marks for effort!

MM

David Drinkell

I liked this version (from Quimper), although it gets top-heavy just before the Pedal reeds come (most wonderfully blasphemously) in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnWBIKNtcIU&feature=related

I've played MTT in Norway - it sounds very good on the lovely Marcussen at the Borgundkirke in Alesund, but most things sound good on that organ.  I once played the Sarabande in modo elegiaco on the Harty Room GD&B at Queen's University, Belfast - http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=C00771 - there was a reason for this, but I can't remember what it was.  There was a lot of playing-down-an-octave involved and I found out on arriving for the concert that the BBC was recording it.

AnOrganCornucopia

I recall Paul Derrett saying that the new Schuke in Magdeburg Dom is a wonderful vehicle for English repertoire - he gave one of the first recitals on it with what I seem to recall was an all-English programme. This may have something to do with the organist there, a South African called Barry Jordan, who remembers with great fondness the Norman & Beards which dominated his youth.  I'm still able to access my account, so I can PM people, so I might invite him to join this forum - or maybe it would be better if PCND, MM or David Drinkell did so?

What's interesting is the rate at which the Germans are acquiring English organs - presumably trying to catch up with the Dutch! This seems to be having something of an influence on German organ-building - look at the new Klais in the Royal Opera House in Oman! The spec could almost be that of a 1920s HN&B... the Belgians and French have also got quite a few English organs - the French, for example, have at least two Hunters (one 3m from Beckenham URC awaiting restoration in Saint-Aubin, Toulouse, plus one large 2m from Honor Oak Baptist playing in Cognac PC), Hill's 1851 Great Exhibition (rebuilt out of all recognition with much Conacher material incorporated) was recently sold to Belgium and there are at least two E. & G. G. Hook/Hook & Hastings organs on the Continent, one 3m in Berlin, another in Boom (Belgium)...