News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

"Nabucco" @ Liverpool Cathedral

Started by Pierre Lauwers, May 19, 2012, 08:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pierre Lauwers

David Pinnegar

Dear Pierre

Yes - well worth listening to! Thanks for sharing!

Best wishes

David P

Barrie Davis

Very impressive indeed, the Liverpool organ always makes my hair stand on end. Does anyone know what happened to the 5 manual console that was originally in the nave?

Best wishes

Barrie

revtonynewnham

Hi

I'd heard that Willis' reclaimed it - the rumour is that it hadn't been paid for.  I can't vouch for the truth of this though.

The 1965 2m Nave console still exists - it's stored in the blower room.  I have some pictures of it.  The later 5m was still there last time I visited.

Every Blessing

Tony

David Pinnegar

Quote from: Barrie Davis on May 22, 2012, 09:30:29 AM
Very impressive indeed, the Liverpool organ always makes my hair stand on end. Does anyone know what happened to the 5 manual console that was originally in the nave?

Hi!

http://www.liv.ac.uk/~spmr02/organ/anglican.html mentions two five manual consoles.

At over 10k pipes by how much does it pip the Albert Hall to be the UK's largest?

Is the "Corona Organ" the world record for the most exotically named?

Best wishes

David P

Barrie Davis

Hi

Yes it does have 2 5 manual consoles again, the latest one being built for recitals by David Wells. Prior to this there was another 5 manual console enclosed in a small gallery on the North side of the nave, it was a Willis one and had the stops for the Corona division which was never added as planned. I was told once, but I cannot verify this, that some of the rocking coupler tabs were re engraved for use on the 2 manual mobile console, this console is now stored in the blower room. Its a shame this conole could not be utilised in the Lady Chapel as a secondary console.

Best wishes

Barrie

David Drinkell

I think the five-manual console that used to live in a hutch in the Central Space was always owned by Willis - I'm not sure that there was ever any dispute about it being paid for - and was indeed reclaimed by the firm after the two-manual mobile console was installed. 

I stand to be corrected, but I don't think the five-manual consoles ever had rocking tablets for the couplers - the Central Space one had luminous stops (a la Compton) along the base of the music desk and the (original) Quire console was rebuilt similarly to bring it into line.  In more recent years, an all-drawstop arrangement has been restored.

Someone tell me if I'm wrong....

ophicleide

yes the quire console had luminous couplers. I used to be organ scholar there and when the sun shone through the south windows you couldn't tell waht was couple and what wasn't!

ophicleide

Quote from: David Pinnegar on May 22, 2012, 12:32:07 PM
Quote from: Barrie Davis on May 22, 2012, 09:30:29 AM

Hi!

http://www.liv.ac.uk/~spmr02/organ/anglican.html mentions two five manual consoles.

At over 10k pipes by how much does it pip the Albert Hall to be the UK's largest?

Is the "Corona Organ" the world record for the most exotically named?

Best wishes

David P

Liverpool is bigger by 271 pipes. The central space section which was added to Liverpool reclaimed the title in 2007.