News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Organists who think they are atheists

Started by David Pinnegar, July 04, 2010, 12:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael H

(from The Hammerwood Hereticess)
Life is an experiment. We can learn about life or God from the results of our experimentation with what life presents to us at any given moment.

David Pinnegar

Aah! Such is the delight of the idiosyncracies of the brain . . .

The sermon today . . . the steps to having a relationship with God rather than mere religion included
(1) be honest with yourself
(2) many people's relationship with God is to invite Him into the house which is their heart, but to leave Him outside in the corridor rather than letting him into the room, each and every room.

There were more pointers which I will report when they return to mind . . .

Of course one should not think of God as a Him but mere language is flawed in the expression of big ideas. Secondly, one should not personify God at all as a person, but as the all around us. One of my sons exemplified this in telling the classic joke -

There was a priest on a sinking ship. The captain ordered all to abandon ship and to get into the lifeboats. There was one space left in the lifeboat but the priest clung to the sinking ship, refusing to get into the lifeboat saying "The Lord will save me".

A rescue ship passed by and called the priest to come aboard but the priest responded "Don't worry about me, the Lord will save me"

A rescue helicopter came along and lowered a rope for the priest but he refused to climb onto the rope saying "The Lord will save me".

The priest realised he was in a bit of trouble as the ship finally sank and he drowned.

Finally he came before God and remonstrated "But why didn't you save me?". God replied "What the h*** did you think you were doing? I gave you the lifeboat, sent the ship and then sent the helicopter but you didn't come on board . . . "

The priest had personified God and had not recognised God working in the environment around him . . .

So if one expects the Voice Of God to bring revelation, it won't come. But in what is happening around one, one might see the order created out of the chaos.

Michael H might have an amusing Voice Of God story to tell that happened to him as an organist . . .

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Quote from: David Pinnegar on January 31, 2011, 06:52:51 AM

Of course one should not think of God as a Him but mere language is flawed in the expression of big ideas. Secondly, one should not personify God at all as a person, but as the all around us. One of my sons exemplified this in telling the classic joke -

There was a priest on a sinking ship. The captain ordered all to abandon ship and to get into the lifeboats. There was one space left in the lifeboat but the priest clung to the sinking ship, refusing to get into the lifeboat saying "The Lord will save me".

A rescue ship passed by and called the priest to come aboard but the priest responded "Don't worry about me, the Lord will save me"

A rescue helicopter came along and lowered a rope for the priest but he refused to climb onto the rope saying "The Lord will save me".

The priest realised he was in a bit of trouble as the ship finally sank and he drowned.

Finally he came before God and remonstrated "But why didn't you save me?". God replied "What the h*** did you think you were doing? I gave you the lifeboat, sent the ship and then sent the helicopter but you didn't come on board . . . "

Best wishes

David P

Hi

Yes - I've used a variant of that story in my sermons.  (The variant being a cliff rescue rather than a sinking ship).  It's too easy to miss seeing what God is doing.  He is active in the world - and in the people around us - and not always people of faith!  There are several examples in the Bible where God uses Gentile kings to bring about His plan.

Every Blessing

Tony