News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

2 manual Walker with drawstops

Started by Holditch, May 31, 2012, 07:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holditch

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-2-manual-16-stop-church-pipe-organ-concave-radiating-pedal-board-/230800747771?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item35bccbecfb

This looks very interesting and not too big for a house

Many of the Walker extension organs make fine little instruments

Having looked at the photos it may even be a straight organ (lots of pipes on that windchest!) ?
Dubois is driving me mad! must practice practice practice

David Drinkell

That's definitely a straight organ.

Barrie Davis

It also looks like an old HNB console was used for it as well, look at the thumb pistons!! Theres no mention I can see of this organ on NPOR, I also wonder what they are replacing it with.

Nu11

I wonder if you can help.  I have been looking for a pipe organ for home use for some time now, but I have no experience in organ dismantling/transporting, etc.  Bearing in mind your comments earlier about this being possibly suitable for a house, I'd welcome any advice on:

Whether this would be relatively easy for a beginner to dismantle, transport and reassemble (would a transit van be big enough?) or would I be advised to see if I could get the services of a professional to do this?

Given room height will be at a premium for me, whether the pipes could be situated starting at floor level, rather than above the console.

Any other considerations/issues you think I should take into account.

Thank you in advance for your help.

David Drinkell

Depending on what you're looking for, Pipe Organ Preservation Co in Northern Ireland might have something to suit you.  In particular, unless it's gone by now, they had a 'Chesham' organ by R.H. Walker.  This is a one manual, with a full coupled pedalboard and about five speaking stops - tracker action, neo-classical - designed for home use.  These jobs are no higher than an upright piano, well made and pleasing to the eye.  They also have/had a three rank 'Cosgrove' organ by the Irish Organ Company with pipes at ground level and detached console.  Check carefully on the build quality on that one.

POPCo are a respectable outfit - I played some nicely restored jobs by them when I lived in Belfast and I know the guys in charge.

http://www.organ.dnet.co.uk/popco/redundancies.html

Nu11

Thanks for the advice David.  Much appreciated.  I'll have a look at those.

diapason

I bought a 5-rank house organ which fits (after mitreing some of the Bourdon rank) into my first-floor flat!  I moved it myself with help from an organbuilder in dismantling.  I rebuilt it with help from a friend and had it professionally tuned.  It's very successful and has a fascinating history.  There are suitable organs out there, but they are quite hard to find.
N

Nu11

Thanks.  Yes - think this one on ebay is too big (particularly the console dimensions) for my space although it would have been a lot of fun.  Will bear your comments in mind and keep my eyes peeled for a slightly smaller instrument.

Thanks for your help

diapason