News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Rare Holt pipe organ under threat

Started by revtonynewnham, June 18, 2012, 12:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revtonynewnham

Hi

On Saturday I visited a redundant Baptist Church in Huddersfield.  It transpires that the organ is by Holt (presumably William, but it could be any of the Holt organ builders formerly active in this area!  The organ is in poor condition - but looking at NPOR it seems that it's possibly an untouched example of an instrument by this builder.  The stop list is quite archaic - the 1881 date on the survey is derived from the building date carved into the stonework of the frontage.  From a cursory inspection, there doesn't look to be any obvious changes - but lack of power meant that I couldn't try the instrument.

I'd not be surprised to find that the Swell is TC and the organ was second-hand to Primrose Hill.  If this instrument is to be saved, it needs to be done soon - the building is up for sale, and the word is that developers are interested, so it might well be sold shortly.

I can put you in contact with the relevant people if there's any chance of saving this organ.

NPOR Survey is: http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=E01893

Every Blessing

David Pinnegar

What a truly lovely specification!

• Pedal   Key action   Stop action   Compass-low C  Compass-high f1  Keys 30
                   1   Open Diapason   16   
    Great   Key action Tr  Stop action Me  Compass-low C  Compass-high g3  Keys 56
                   2   Open Diapason   8   
                   3   Stop Diapason Bass   8   
                   4   Clarabella   8   
                   5   Viola Da Gamba   8   
                   6   Principal   4   
                   7   Flute   4   
                   8   Twelfth   2 2/3   
                   9   Fifteenth   2   
                   10   Sesquialtera      
                   11   Clarionet   8   
    Swell   Key action Tr  Stop action Me  Compass-low C  Compass-high g3  Keys 56 Enclosed
                   12   Double Diapason   16   
                   13   Open Diapason   8   
                   14   Stopped Diapason   8   
                   15   Principal   4   
                   16   Piccolo   2   
                   17   Cornopean   8

revtonynewnham

Hi
Yes, stop list very typical of the immediate post-1850 period, when "German" compass was coming in, but the Old English ideas hadn't yet vanished.  I would have liked to see what it sounded like, but there was no obvious hand blower, and no electricity in the building.

Every Blessing

Tony

revtonynewnham

Hi

I have just heard that contracts for the sale of the building have been signed - so unless someone can act in the very near future, this looks like becoming another lost organ.

Every Blessing

Tony

JKenny

Hello,

Would you be able to give me the contact details of the developers? I think we should try and save as much of this organ as we can. I live not to far from huddersfield so a trip over to inspect it would be no trouble.

James

David Pinnegar

Hi!

It's possibly worth mentioning that the NPOR listing includes some good photographs of this instrument which appears to be visually in a classical style equally at home in a small concert hall as in a church . . .

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi

The BIOS Conservation officer is interested in trying to save this organ - it does seem to be of historic significance - and is most likely older than the church building - probably around 1860 or even earlier.

The real problem is that notification of the availablility has come far too late.

Every Blessing

Tony

JKenny

Hi,

I have contacted the head lady of the Yorkshire baptist Church association and they are letting me in on Monday morning to view the organ.

Lets hope we can save this organ!

matt h

Hi JKenny

Just out of sheer curiosity, have you any plans for this organ?

Regards,
Matt.

JKenny

Hello Matt,

Depending on its condition, If it is salvageable I would like to install it in a Private chapel or even in my music room depending on the quality of it.

If the woodwork is rotten through and is in a complete state of disuse I would like to save the pipe work to enlarge my home organ.

Do you have anywhere that you think would be a good home for it?

James

matt h

James.

Depends on the scaling.  I am trying to get a pipe organ installed at my church, but to be honest this one looks far too large scaled for our needs.

There are one or two ranks which look interesting, but I think at this stage it would be better to keep the instrument intact when there are other less historic organs being scrapped all the time.

Good luck!
Matt.

JKenny

Your only problem with this one is that it would cost you next to nothing to buy, but a lot to restore and probably would probably end up amounting to the same as buying a second hand pipe organ off ebay.

Hope your project all goes well!

James

David Pinnegar

Quote from: JKenny on June 22, 2012, 06:20:24 PM
Hi,

I have contacted the head lady of the Yorkshire baptist Church association and they are letting me in on Monday morning to view the organ.

Lets hope we can save this organ!

This sounds most exciting. Please take camera!

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi

Can I please emphasise that, whatever state this organ is in (I guess it will need significant work to the soundboards at the very least, and probably reservoir releathering) it is of great historical significance, being the last relatively untouched example of an organ by Holt - a Bradford (and area)-based dynasty of organ builders of the mid 1800's.

Despite the scaling, I would think the tone would have more in common with the Early English instruments than, say, the Shulze influenced builders typical of slightly later periods in this area.

Please let me know (by PM if preferred) what happens - the BIOS Casework officer is involved.

Every Blessing

Tony

JKenny

Hello all,

I went to look at the organ at Primrose Hill today, after being denied access the first time but getting in the second time.

The organ is in a rather good condition, the church only closed last summer so there is no damage to any of the woodwork and all of the pipe work is there. All of the sliders move fine and the same with the action. It is definitely salvageable in its current state.

Unfortunately the keys are being handed over to the developers next week who wish to turn the church into flats so we need to act quickly.

I am going to get the contact details for the developers but we must hope that they won't want much for it as I have very little to spend so might not be able to afford it so we might have to look for someone else interested.

Thats all for now,

James

Barrie Davis

Hi
Please keep us imformed, I do hope they see sense, if they are going to scrap it the value isnt a great deal.
I wish I had funds available to help you.

Best wishes

Barrie

matt h

James.

Good to hear the organ is still in a reasonable state.  Hopefully the developers will see that you are doing them a favour in removing the organ for them!

Regards,
Matt.

David Pinnegar

There is one example on this forum where thanks to interest shown a developer was persuaded to incorporate the organ in situ into the development. It could be inspirational.

Although differing circumstances, there are two examples where an organ has been retained in the South East. At Ashdown Park Hotel in Forest Row / Wych Cross, an organ has been retained in a reception area and is used sometimes at functions and at Royal Earlswood Park, Redhill, a former looney bin, the former chapel organ has been retained in the sports centre even incorporating a swimming pool, and is understood to be in playable condition.

Best wishes

David P

MusingMuso

In Manchester, there are two retained organs in converted buildings; namely the large Wadsworth / R&D instrument in what was formerly the Albert Hall; the ground floor of which is now Brannagans Bar. The chapel area and organ are off-limits, but at least it survives in all its splendour unused and now unloved. Perhaps this is just a temporary reprieve for what was a fine hall and significant organ.

The other, is that to be found in the Groucho Restaurant, where the organ has been retained in its entirety.

We even have nice piccies to look at:-

http://www.viewmanchester.co.uk/restaurants/gaucho-gallery-30702.html

http://www.goneeightyfive.com/2011/07/albert-hall-manchester.html

For me, one of the great mistakes was that possibly made, (I use these words with caution, because I may not know all the facts), by the Lancaster Theatre Organ Trust, when there was the opportunity to install a large Wurlitzer organ in the Trafford Centre Retail Mall, They declined this opportunity, and rather sadly, ended up losing the organ altogether; having to sell it after failing to find an alternative home.

How sad that the theatre organ enthusiasts of Manchester now have to travel to Stockport, following the removal of the big Wurlitzer from the Granada Studios Complex and the refurbishment of the former Free Trade Hall. (The latter is the one now in Stockport Town Hall).

MM

Holditch

Brannagans Bar has now closed and the building (Albert Hall) is now as I understand it completely vacant.

I have walked past the place on many occasions and wondered about the fate of the organ. The building is of architectural importance and has many wonderful features. I just hope the next incumbent uses the building including the organ as it would make a great live music venue and it comes with a significant organ

Best wishes
Marc
Dubois is driving me mad! must practice practice practice