News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

What was or is the largest Reed organ/Harmonium?

Started by Barrie Davis, June 21, 2012, 10:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrie Davis

Hi

I can remember in my teens trying a 3manual and pedal reed organ somewhere in Shropshire, memories of this have made me wonder what was the biggest instrument of this kind ever built.

Best wishes

Barrie

revtonynewnham

Hi

As far as I know it was the pair of almost identical 3-manulas that Holt (or Birmingham) built, one of which was the late marmaduke Conway's practice organ at Ely.  I've played that when it was in the Saltaire museum - impressive instrument of the type.

Rob allen's web site has some catalogue exctrats from Holt - http://tardis.dl.ac.uk/FreeReed/organ_book/node6.html#SECTION00063000000000000000 along with a wealth of other information.  I seem to have mislaid my copy of the Saltaire collection catalogue to confirm the size of that instrument, which was a custom job.  2m Holts are more common - I've played at 2 churches that had them in the past - one with and one without pedals.

Estey in the States also made some 3 manual reed organs - I don't know how big their largest model was.

I will post the question on one of the reed organ lists and see what answers we come up with.

Every Blessing

Tony

Estey in the States

revtonynewnham

Hi

Further to the above, a little more searching reveals a 4 manual by Sawer - again info courtesy of Rob Allen

http://tardis.dl.ac.uk/FreeReed/organ_book/node7.html#SECTION00072000000000000000

Every Blessing

Tony

David Drinkell

Little Waldingfield Church in Suffolk had a three manual and pedal reed organ until it was replaced by a Philicorda in the seventies.  In 1990, Peter Bumstead installed the organ (Hart c.1809, subsequently enlarged) from St. Mary's, Thetford, which fits the place like a glove.  I never found out what happened to the reed organ.  It was not exceptionally large, but I've never seen another three manual example.

revtonynewnham

Hi

A correspondent (and Harmonium "expert") in Holland informs me that Sawer made a 90 stop, 5 manual reed organ - but it was never sol, only a demo for custom-builod clients to hear the various sounds that they had available.  I recjkon that probably takes the crown.

So far, the largest reed organ sold seems to be 3 3/27 Holt.

These, of course, are "pipe organ substitute" instruments with pedalboards - a somewhat different type of instrument to the real, foot blown and extremely expressive Harmonium.

Every Blessing

Tony

Barrie Davis

Hi

Many thanks for the information Tony, I wish I could remember more about the instrument I saw, but the church closed many years ago.

Best wishes

Barrie

revtonynewnham

Hi Barry

Most likely an Estey - but could have been something else.  Who knows?

Every Blessing

Tony

David Pinnegar

Hi!

The answer might be
http://www.organmatters.com/index.php/topic,1418.msg6748/topicseen.html#msg6748
which from the photos on Facebook (I do wish the author would take the trouble to post details here as this instrument is potentially historic) is three manuals with a good disposition of stops.

Best wishes

David P