Organ registration > Organ registration

32ft on a manual

(1/8) > >>

Holditch:
Having purchased "The Emperor's Fanfare" and listened to Carlo Curley's performance on the Girard College Organ in Pennsylvania it made me think how many other instruments in the world have a 32ft stop available on the manuals?

I suppose this is an American thing, i.e. size is everything, but it seems to work with the romantic music CC was playing

Here is some of the specification for the Girard organ

http://database.organsociety.org/SingleOrganDetails.php?OrganID=9032

Just answered my own question, Liverpool Anglican Cathedral (I suppose with that many ranks there had to be one on the manuals!)

KB7DQH:
If one looks through the "new pipe organs" board on this forum there is an instrument which ALL the pedal ranks are playable via the bottom or "Grand Choir" manual... the pedal ranks are actually extended in compass to allow for this.  Built in primarily French-Romantic style but tonally inspired by the Isnard instrument in Saint Maximin... Also has a "free-reed" Clarinette stop... It is installed in the Sacred Heart Co-Cathedral  in Houston, Texas, and was built by one of the organbuilders local to me... Martin Pasi, as his Opus 19.  So... another one...

Eric
KB7DQH

David Drinkell:

--- Quote from: Holditch on June 28, 2012, 06:39:26 PM ---Having purchased "The Emperor's Fanfare" and listened to Carlo Curley's performance on the Girard College Organ in Pennsylvania it made me think how many other instruments in the world have a 32ft stop available on the manuals?
--- End quote ---

British examples include the Royal Albert Hall, Liverpool Anglican Cathedral, Newcastle Cathedral, Ely Cathedral and Melton Mowbray Parish Church.  The Ely example was disconnected at the 1975 rebuild but reappeared in 2001.  Peterborough used to have one, but it disappeared at the last rebuild (I thought it was a shame to lose the enormous spread of 32, three 16s, Phonon, 3 Opens, two flutes and Dulciana).

I've often wondered why there aren't more 32' reeds in very big Swells.

32' pitch on the manuals is more useful than might at first appear.  A lot of French symphonic music presupposes a Cavaille-Coll organ witrh a sub coupler on the Grand, so gravity is an essential part of the concept.

MusingMuso:

--- Quote from: David Drinkell on June 29, 2012, 08:04:01 AM ---
--- Quote from: Holditch on June 28, 2012, 06:39:26 PM ---Having purchased "The Emperor's Fanfare" and listened to Carlo Curley's performance on the Girard College Organ in Pennsylvania it made me think how many other instruments in the world have a 32ft stop available on the manuals?
--- End quote ---

British examples include the Royal Albert Hall, Liverpool Anglican Cathedral, Newcastle Cathedral, Ely Cathedral and Melton Mowbray Parish Church.  The Ely example was disconnected at the 1975 rebuild but reappeared in 2001.  Peterborough used to have one, but it disappeared at the last rebuild (I thought it was a shame to lose the enormous spread of 32, three 16s, Phonon, 3 Opens, two flutes and Dulciana).

I've often wondered why there aren't more 32' reeds in very big Swells.

32' pitch on the manuals is more useful than might at first appear.  A lot of French symphonic music presupposes a Cavaille-Coll organ witrh a sub coupler on the Grand, so gravity is an essential part of the concept.

--- End quote ---

Hello,

Don't forget the Schulze at Doncaster PC, which although a tenor C register, was probably the earliest example.

Best

MM

Barrie Davis:
Hi

After looking at spec leaflets from H&H most of their 32's started from tenor C so was this the norm? I cannot find the Willis brochure about Liverpool so do not know if this was the case there.

Barrie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version