News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Seeking Middle Eastern-sounding pieces

Started by ozaru, July 04, 2012, 06:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozaru

I'm looking for two or three organ pieces that sound demonstrably Arabic or Indian. They don't have to be by composers from that area: I'm thinking for example of something like Glazunov's string quartet Orientale (www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUgVvs9P7_M). Even piano pieces might be OK, if they're playable on an organ. Any suggestions? I've not managed to find much on the web.

Robin Stalker

Ben,

How about the Deux Dance a Agni Yavishta by Alain?

Robin

David Drinkell

I suppose Albert Ketelby's 'In a Persian Marketplace' is not quite what you're looking for?  It's fun to play, though....

ozaru

Thanks, Robin & David -- both interesting suggestions, which I will certainly try out. They also prompted me to recall Sabre Dance (which I've done before), Scheherazade (which I've seen as a piano duet), and helped me find a Persian Suite composed just a few months ago: http://www.bardon-music.com/music.php?id=BE00645. Another friend suggested listening to various Middle Eastern national anthems, but all those I've listened to so far sound quite dull and not very 'Eastern' at all.