News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Royal Marines Chapel Chivenor

Started by Barrie Davis, March 02, 2012, 09:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrie Davis

Hi

Whilst eating my breakfast this morning I watched television, there was an item about a choir making a recording in the Chapel at Chivenor , in one shot it showed a pipe organ which I later looked up on NPOR.
It had originally been built by Hill for a private house and moved to the chapel at Chivenor, Michael Farley is noted as having done some work on it, it states on NPOR that the organ was for sale as it is unplayable, seemingly wind is not reaching the bellows!
If it is still for sale this little organ is well worth saving and it looks as if a new blower or trunking would solve the problem over the wind supply.

Best wishes

Barrie

diapason

I was talking to Michael Farley abou this organ last summer.  Apparently the heating was left on at full blast for a long period of time and the organ was, in Michael's words, 'cooked'.  He had advised the chapel to turn the heating down, but, he said, the Padre wanted rid  the organ and ignored his advice.  It is, apparently, in a very bad state and needs considerable repairs to the chests.  If anyone is able to visit and report, it might be helpful.  The organ is said to be of significant historical importance.
N

Barrie Davis

Thank you for that information, if only they had listened to Michael Farley, but if the Padre wants rid of it..............
Can anyone from tje Board go and have a look at the organ and report back please??

Barrie

diapason

I'm guessing that access to the camp is likely to be difficult due to security issues - the chapel is inside the perimeter fence, but close to the edge of the camp - it can be seen from the public cyclepath.  It might be best to contact through the IBO redundant organs website where the organ is currently listed, and try to make an appointment to see it.  I might be able to go down, but not for the next few weeks.
N

Janner

We visited this organ last June. I can confirm that at that time it could not be considered as playable, although with one of the blowers working, and help from the hand pump, a few sounds could be obtained. However it was clearly obvious that it would need some serious work done on it to make it playable, rather more I suspect than just a new blower and trunking.

It is in a very good quality case which would look well in the right situation, although I suspect there are some places which it may not quite suit. The pedal board is non-standard; the pedals are shorter than normal, although any competent organist would probably get used to them without too much trouble.

The organ itself is very compact, but the blowers and reservoir are large and housed in a small room behind the instrument. Sadly it was not suitable for the particular situation we had to fill, but I have kept the information on it. I have several photographs and other details, including copies of correspondence concerning the organ and its condition. I would check with the contact at Chivenor for permission before passing them on, but I don't expect there would be any problem if the enquirer were genuinely interested.

I had no difficulty arranging a visit. For security reasons we were accompanied at all times and our guide's other duties meant that our visit was limited to an hour, but he couldn't have been more helpful. Service life being what it is, personnel there may have changed by now, so the contact may be a different person, but the general attitude was that they would like to see the organ go to a good home.

If anyone is interested please contact me by P.M.

J.

Janner

I have just heard that this organ is emigrating to a church across the Channel. The case alone was a very fine piece of workmanship. It is good that it has found a home.