News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

How best to lose overload distortion on recording?

Started by David Pinnegar, August 27, 2012, 11:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

Hi!

Yesterday the concert at L'Escarene behind Nice http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3677302132229.46925041.1265258549&type=1&l=5be1e14353 was superb . . . but it was difficult to set a good recording level.

Using Cool Edit clip restoration, I have tried the Restore Heavily Clipped setting with -12dB attentuation, 10% overhead, Minimum run size 3 and it's set to FFT Size 32 samples.

It's an improvement but there are still sub octave peaks breaking through.

What might be the best technique to use?

Many thanks

Best wishes

David P

revtonynewnham

Hi David

There is very little that you can do to restore a grossly distorted signal - especially on a digital recording.  the peaks just aren't there.  If clip restore doesn't work (and I've not had much success with the version I have in audio restoration software, you could try de-crackle and see it that helps.  Save each attempt until you get the best possible - but the real remedy is to re-cord the items - and check recording levels next time!

Every Blessing

Tony