News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Blackett and Howden

Started by Barrie Davis, September 14, 2012, 03:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrie Davis

Hi

Can anyone tell me anything at all about this firm? I discovered one of their instruments several years ago in Shropshire and it was most pleasing both to the ear and to play.

Best wishes

Barrie

Bobbell9

This firm made a great deal of organs in NE England. There is an entry in NPOR if you search for Blackett & Howden on the organ builders tab.

Established: 1890
Floruit: 1890-1975
Located: Newcastle upon Tyne
Trade: ob
tuning acquired by HNB 1924; remainder of business acquired by N.Church 1975

The organs were very pleasant. The firm also installed cinema organs for Comptons and even built some cinema organs on their own account (Pavilion Cinema, Stanley Co Durham)

They may have been instrumental in the development of the Diaphone when a tuner found a leaking windpipe produced a definite note.

Barrie Davis

Thank you for the information, I was greatly impressed by the standard of workmanship and would like to see some more of their work.

Bobbell9

They were quite advanced in their day, The organ in the Royal military Academy at Sandhirst, although later updated by Rushworth and Dreaper is a good example of their work.