News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Hidden Gems: Whittier business still services the world's pipe organs

Started by KB7DQH, September 19, 2012, 10:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KB7DQH

http://www.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_21505143/hidden-gems-whittier-business-still-services-worlds-pipe

QuoteOutside the building of Harris Organs, Pipe Organ Builder. On the outside it seems like not much is going on, but inside you hear automatic machines making parts, woodworking tools, and other sounds of products being made.

David Harris, son of Whittier Automobile dealer, Clint Harris, has made his niche in the business of pipe organs. Early on, he made pipe organs for his church here in Whittier and for many others.

"In the beginning I made my reputation building organs because I had a different view of it," said Harris. "I made things and it created quite a bit of talk and interest."

Now his business is mainly manufacturing component parts for pipe organs.

"My components have a good reputation among organ builders and organists prefer them," he said.

They have 12 employees and manufacture hundreds of component parts. He's not sure why but they have more jobs in New York City than practically anyplace else.

"The biggest (account) is the largest organ in New York City at St. Bartholomew's" said Harris.

The most famous organ is at Saint Eustache in Paris.

"There are two consoles, one upstairs, one downstairs," he says. "They are both large. I have done all of the components for it."

He admits that advertising and marketing interests him but he doesn't feel that he is good at it. "Word of mouth is by far the best," Harris says.

"I think the organ business is made up of people that

love to talk. And you get talked about."

Read more: Hidden Gems: Whittier business still services the world's pipe organs - Whittier Daily News http://www.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_21505143/hidden-gems-whittier-business-still-services-worlds-pipe#ixzz26xUl0wUZ

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."