News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Organ in Bristol

Started by diapason, September 28, 2012, 03:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diapason

Another nice organ on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200825530059&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123#ht_782wt_1063

Griffen & Stroud built very nice instruments, and this one should be well worth saving.
N

dragonser

Hi, interesting that the Organ still has a handle for emergencies ..... when the power fails
I hope that a new home can be found for this Organ.

regards Peter B

Janner

One of the difficulties with organs on eBay is that the time available for decision making is impossibly short in many cases.

In the Anglican Church, this soon becomes apparent to anyone who embarks on a scheme to obtain and install an organ. The process of consultation, planning, further consultation, further planning and eventual faculty permission can take years, not to mention the fund raising. In many ways this is a good thing because it helps to prevent some of the unwise changes, and acts of vandalism, which would otherwise undoubtedly take place. But it does rather rule out bidding in an auction lasting just a few days.

I suppose eBay may, potentially anyway, be a more prominent medium than perhaps the IBO Redundant Organs list, but the latter would seem a more logical place to advertise, and anyone seriously looking for a church organ must surely know about it?

In this case it appears as though the owners are not looking to have it removed until early next year, so that at least may help someone, but they still have to decide whether to bid before tomorrow week. I see there are two bids so far, which hopefully may be a good sign.

diapason

This organ has been on the IBO redundant list for some time already - presumably with no takers:
http://www.ibo.co.uk/IBO2005/services/redundant/locResult.asp?county=Bristol&Submit3=View&index=1
Hopefully it can be saved - perhaps by an individual or an organbuilder - or perhaps an Anglican church will buy it on spec and apply for a faculty at leisure whilst they raise funds to restore it.  I wish I had space.........
N

rainworthgord

Quote from: Janner on September 29, 2012, 11:15:07 AM
One of the difficulties with organs on eBay is that the time available for decision making is impossibly short in many cases.

In the Anglican Church, this soon becomes apparent to anyone who embarks on a scheme to obtain and install an organ. The process of consultation, planning, further consultation, further planning and eventual faculty permission can take years, not to mention the fund raising. In many ways this is a good thing because it helps to prevent some of the unwise changes, and acts of vandalism, which would otherwise undoubtedly take place. But it does rather rule out bidding in an auction lasting just a few days.

I suppose eBay may, potentially anyway, be a more prominent medium than perhaps the IBO Redundant Organs list, but the latter would seem a more logical place to advertise, and anyone seriously looking for a church organ must surely know about it?

In this case it appears as though the owners are not looking to have it removed until early next year, so that at least may help someone, but they still have to decide whether to bid before tomorrow week. I see there are two bids so far, which hopefully may be a good sign.

Faculties can be a pain and I'm sure some churches don't bother. Within 10 miles of my home there is a group of five country parishes where two have replaced harmoniums with pub organs which would never have been allowed by the diocese.
As an aside I was once asked to play the harmonium at one of these churches for a funeral, when that was the instrument in use and situated in the tiny chancel. At the end of the service, as the bearers turned the coffin round to carry it out they almost knocked me off the stool with it.

Janner

Quote from: diapason on September 29, 2012, 12:48:45 PM
- or perhaps an Anglican church will buy it on spec and apply for a faculty at leisure whilst they raise funds to restore it.  I wish I had space.........
N

Yes, that would be a nice thought, and indeed may be possible in some cases, I don't know. However, it's probably not a good idea to assume it will be that straightforward.

It's one thing to start out with the idea, take some advice, earmark a position, and then start looking for an organ to fit the space. A likely one is located and you start making serious proposals to the relevant bodies and officials.

"Oh," says one, "It can't go there because....."
"Not over there......" says another, and so on.

Eventually you end up with a completely different situation and the organ you thought would fit is now out of the question, so you have to start all over again.

Then it's not just a case of an organ which will fit the space. The instrument itself has to be approved as suitable to blend in with the rest of the building.

So, personally, for an Anglican building at least, I would be cautious about actually buying an instrument before getting at least to within clear sight of a successful conclusion to the paperwork.

Maybe others on here have had different experiences; it would be interesting to hear about them. Perhaps that discussion would be better started as another topic in a more appropriate section?

Janner

The auction for this organ ended yesterday at 9:30 p.m. There were five bidders who between them made seven bids, the highest being £360. The auction is now marked as "Reserve not met" so presumably the organ is still available.

Considering the current situation though, with organs being advertised as free for removal, £360 doesn't seem such a bad offer. Perhaps there are other factors not immediately apparent. For example, with eBay bids it's not possible to know what the buyer intends to do with the item.

Anyway, if nothing else, perhaps the auction may at least have attracted the attention of someone with a serious interest in the instrument.

matt h

Hi

I only hope that the reserve hasn't been set to match an offer from the scrap men. The scrap value of the pipes and lead conveyancing is often more than the value of the organ complete. Sad times.

Regards,
Matt.