News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Musical bull**** falls flat

Started by David Pinnegar, October 04, 2012, 05:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Pinnegar

Hi!

I had an amusing experience today. Someone came to see me who wanted me to be involved in a project and he sat in a chair next to a square piano of the 1850s having a 72 note keyboard.

Wanting to join the club of supposed musical cognoscenti he admired the old piano telling me how rare this instrument was with a four octave keyboard.

Later he told me the story of how he went to see a wealthy client and she happened to be having her piano tuned. After the piano tuner had finished tuning he was playing and apparently rather well. The man who came to see me, having a more acute ear than the piano tuner, he thought, told the tuner that there was a flat note. The tuner played again and could not hear a flat note. He played some chords and declared there was no flat note. But the man pointed out the note that was flat. Looking at the instrument and inspecting the action, he was discovered to have been right. The note concerned had a hammer of flatter shape than the others. :-)

Best wishes

David P