News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Klipsch organ speaker ! and Tour

Started by dragonser, November 28, 2012, 08:51:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonser

Hi,
this was posted to the Hammond Organ list but seems to be an interesting Tour.

check out the video at about 7:20 for an organ related speaker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=jjKcD2MaxV8&NR=1

but I wonder what it sounds like ? probably not like a Leslie cabinet ( which is a great sound but not what everyone wants ! )

regards Peter B

David Pinnegar

Hi!

Thanks for that video. Fascinating for all interested in hi-fi, let alone organs.

I love that metal mould for casting horns weighing a ton!

The design of the Klipshorn with that treble horn on top is similar to the Altec VOTT - Voice Of The Theatre. The treble horn is useful for trumpets, but it results in too high a crossover frequency for transparent musical naturalism.

At 09:33 is the Lowther TP1A of which I am planning a production run in due course. It's an incredibly complex design but very worthwhile.

Best wishes

David P

dragonser

Hi,
I just saw a speaker cabinet, Lowther on ebay .....
unfortunately no speaker in it.
item number 300827979665
located in High Wycombe .
in case anyone is interested in it.

regards Peter B

David Pinnegar

Hi!

It's an Acousta which works very usefully. People in the hifi world have been very snobby about these but if you put damping material above the unit to stop the end reflection, and to the sides of the unit to stop lateral resonance, the result is superb. For units, whilst Lowther are great, in the acousta other full range 8 inch units will fit - it's important to use one with a larger magnet and a whizzer cone. The neodimium magnet Audio Nirvanas fit and are excellent but the ceramic magnet ones don't. Lowther units to fit are PM6, PM7 perhaps, and DX2. DX3 or PM7 give more treble and are great but can give an x-ray quality to reproduction.

Recently there was a Voigt corner horn for sale at a ridiculous price and I'm not entirely convinced by them.

Best wishes

David P

Bobbell9

In the 1970s I worked in a music shop and I had a loudspeaker made of a Trombone bell fitted to a Fane Pressure driver. I had a Crumar Multiman which emulated piano strings and brass. I had a switch which used the "Trombone speaker" for the synthesized brass sounds and the effect had one man rushing to see the "trumpeter"

Crumar Multiman is here http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/crumar_orch.php

revtonynewnham

Hi

I recently saw a picture of a brass horn speaker - almost certainly part of a Wurlitzer electronic organ's sound system.  Since it was on You Tube, I don't have any more details.  I've got some PA horn speakers lurking in the garage - might experiment sometime.

Every Blessing

Tony