News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

St Georges Hall Bradford

Started by Barrie Davis, December 10, 2012, 10:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrie Davis

Hi

I noticed this organ on a recent television prog and looked it up on NPOR, it seems that heating engineers cut the wind trunking to the organ a few years ago. Is there any hope of it being made playable again??

Best wishes

Barrie

revtonynewnham

Hi
From what I hear locally, some of the pipework has "disappeared".  Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any hope of it being resurrected in the foreseeable future - there's just no interest in the local council, the city has a large Asian population, and the hall is very busy presenting other events.  I did try and persuade the Bradford Organists' Assoc to take this on as a project for our centenary year with no success.  Very sad.

At least the weekly lunchtime recitals at Bradford Cathedral seem to be thriving.

Every Blessing

Tony

JBR

Yes, a shame.  I remember school speech days there with Keith Rhodes playing.  I seem to remember it had a lovely tone.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

MusingMuso

I suspect that Willis made the best of a very underpowered organ, originally by Holt, but it was never a particularly striking instrument down in the hall. I last heard it played at a recital probably when I was 15, back in 1964, when the recitalist was none other than Fernado Germani. I'm afraid the organ left little impression, which considering the performer, was a pity.

When Germani played at Leeds PC, (perhaps around the same time), I was so stunned by what I heard, I have even remembered parts of his recital to this day. It was absolutely breathtaking.

So although the St Geroge's Hall organ was pleasantly musical near the stage area, it was never going to be a concert organ, and all that Willis really achieved was to make the reeds loud enough to be heard above a full choir at a choral event. An organ with a similar problem was that at the old Methodist Eastbrook Hall, by William Hill, which made little impact. Now carefully restored and living in a much smaller building in Cambridge, it sounds glorious.

Best,

MM

revtonynewnham

Hi

The first organ recital I went to was by Germani  playing at one of the Anglican churches in Hove.  Very impressive.

Every Blessing

Tony

pcnd5584

Quote from: Barrie Davis on December 10, 2012, 10:02:22 AM
Hi

I noticed this organ on a recent television prog and looked it up on NPOR, it seems that heating engineers cut the wind trunking to the organ a few years ago. Is there any hope of it being made playable again??

Best wishes

Barrie

I am beginning to wonder if the version of the NPOR which I am able to access actually exists in a parallel universe. I have tried:

'george bradford'
'bradford'
george hall'
'saint george hall'

... and still I cannot persuade the site to disgorge the stoplist.

So, what DO I type?

Tsk...tsk...tsk

Pierre Cochereau rocked, man

Barrie Davis

Hi

I just put in Bradford and found it in the listings.

Best wishes

Barrie

revtonynewnham

Hi

This is one of the rare buildings that needs the apostrophe - i.e. "George's" - it's not a church after all!  Entering Bradford does find it - I've just done it to check.  It's well down the resulting list, but it is there.  Details at http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=G00438

Every Blessing

Tony

pcnd5584

Quote from: Barrie Davis on December 14, 2012, 09:32:15 AM
Hi

I just put in Bradford and found it in the listings.

Best wishes

Barrie

Weird - So did I - and did not find it in the listings.

(I looked twice - carefully.)

How very odd....
Pierre Cochereau rocked, man

MusingMuso

It's listed as St George's Hall (Civic Hall)l....try again very, very carefully.  :)

Best,

MM