News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Historically significant organ in church about to be closed

Started by revtonynewnham, December 10, 2012, 10:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revtonynewnham

Hi

Details at http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=H00890  This organ is among the earliest from the Laycock & Bannister partnership - before they moved to thier new premises, and dated 2 years earlier than the commonly given date for the establishment of the partnership.  I visited last Friday with a good freind (and organ advisor from another area).  He considers the organ of great historic importance-  likely meriting a BIOS Historic Organ Certificate at 2* grade. The organ is in generally good order - the main issues being a non-functioning tremulant and pedal Bourdon - both appear to be down to broken linkages in the stop mechanism.  The reservoir has a split - but the action appears to have been overhauled in the recent past.

A new home is urgently required, as the church is due to be sold for redevelopment.  The relatively small size of the instrument is a bonus, as is the fact that it's in good playing order, and makes a very pleasant sound.

Please contact me if you're interested.  This instrument needs to be retained intact, not split for parts!

Every Blessing

Tony

MusingMuso

I've never heard this organ or even seen it, though I shall be a few yards away from it tomorrow evening!

I would just add to Tony's comments that L & B built real battleship quality instruments, and the best are quite good organs tonally.

Anyone who acquired this instrument and put right the basic defects, would have a solid piece of machinery built to last.

Best,

MM

revtonynewnham

Hi

I can't say anything definite as yet, but it looks possible that this organ can be saved - although not in this country, sadly.  I'll post an update when I know more.

every Blessing

Tony