News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

...What a pleasant surprise...

Started by KB7DQH, February 19, 2013, 04:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KB7DQH

Right this second (streaming onwww.king.org Click on "listen live") is a rather pleasant piece for chamber instruments and pipe organ!!!  I currently have no idea what it is as I missed the announcement as I was reading other stuff online and had the volume on the HI-FI turned well down... Soooo... I have begun recording at a suitable break between movements, and will report back when I find out what this is ;)

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

KB7DQH

Suite for organ, violin, and cello in C minor, by Joseph Rhineberger... This was played as a "teaser" for a local concert to be performed next Sunday at 4PM "Pacific" time, called "Romantic Organ Treats" ;)

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

revtonynewnham

Hi

Rheinberger wrote a number of pieces for "Organ plus".  Somewhere I've got a cassette (recorded off air) of a BBC recital of some of them.

I'm convinced that Organ Plus presentations can be a great help in presenting the organ to those who would never consider attending a traditional solo recital.

Every Blessing

Tony

KB7DQH

Since the aforementioned station has shifted to a "listener-supported" finance scheme, their programming has also shifted to promote local recitals and concerts of all types, and in particular local events featuring local choirs, organs, orchestras, etc... Their programming of music featuring the organ, organs and choirs, or organs with orchestra, has noticeably increased as well, not necessarily in conjunction with the promotional activity, which usually takes the form of playing a piece of music "out of the stacks" which will be performed locally and then announcing the date, time, venue, and performers involved in the local event...

Eric
KB7DQH

KB7DQH

...Yet again :o ;) 8)

After being blindsided by the appearance of the Guilmant Organ Symphony #1 and being somewhat confused by the announcer I fired up the search engine and came up with this:

Les amoureux de l'Orgue
David di Fiore, organ with the Auburn Symphony Orchestra conducted by Stewart Kershaw Playing the Kimball organ of the University Temple United Methodist Church, Seattle, Washington, USA
Ambassador ARC-1019

I wonder why this organ (or for that matter this performance) hasn't made an appearance on "The Organ Loft"? At least not in the past few years I have been listening "religiously" ;) Curious if the CD is "still in print" but the search engine failed to find the label listed in a website selling such... Part of this plot and conspiracy, or why I was blindsided by the presentation had to do with a rather deep discussion with a friend who creates and hides Geocaches, and sought to use elements of the musical scale for coding the clues required to find his latest as-yet unhid cache... complete with the usual discussion about "standard" keyboards, pitch, note identifications, etc...

Eric
KB7DQH

KB7DQH

Among the music performed at David diFiore's farewell concert mentioned elsewhere on this forum was the aforementioned final movement of the Guilmant Sonata No.1 in d-minor... but without the orchestra... As to the local concert promotional activities of Classical KING 98.1 FM, are the first concert in a series to be performed throughout the coming year commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Flentrop pipe organ installation at Saint Mark's Episcopal Church, inaugurated at the time by E. Power Biggs, who played two concerts upon it. The first of the 50th anniversary concerts is scheduled this coming Friday evening, October 2... performed by their newly appointed Canon Musician, Michael Kleinschmidt... announced at least three times during the "Music Through the Night" program last evening. This evening there has been so far, one announcement of a concert to be given next week at Saint James Cathedral, the details escape me as of this writing...

So... Are there other examples of radio stations promoting local musical performances, or more specifically, organ performances?   

My thoughts are along the idea that if you are sponsoring an event of this type it might be worth contacting similar venues to determine what possibilities exist for promotion?

Eric
KB7DQH

Nicolette

Thank you KB7DQH - interesting idea.................
Nicolette Fraser, B. Mus., ARCO

KB7DQH

Classical KING 98.1FM is at it again 8)  On tonight's "Seatttle Symphony Spotlight" being played right now is the London Symphony recording of "Also Sprache Zarathustra"... which will be performed live by the symphony later this week, no doubt accompanied by the Fisk organ in Benaroya Hall  8) 8) 8)  My question is to those in the UK familiar with the venue which the London Symphony might have recorded this... Which venue??? This of course might be more easily identified if I knew which year the recording was made, and by the sound of it, I would say it was at the very least mastered on analog equipment based on the evidence of some compression not present on modern digitally-mastered recordings... so there would be a clue to go by...

??? ??? ???

Eric
KB7DQH

revtonynewnham

Hi

There are literally dozens of potential venues used for orchestral recording - you'd need to track down the record number & company and then there might be a chance of finding what location was used.

Many classical recordings are made in venues (Town Halls & the like) that are not on the min concert circuit, but that have good acoustics and not too much ambient noise.

Every Blessing

Tony