News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Last of a mighty organ line - death of Marie Claire-Allain

Started by KB7DQH, February 26, 2013, 04:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KB7DQH

February 26, 2013 by Norman Lebrecht

The death has been announced of Marie-Claire Alain, one of the most influential organists of all time. She was 86.

Her father, Albert Alain (1880-1971), was an organ composer and builder. Her composer brother, Jehain Alain, died fighting the German in 1940, at the age of 29. Marie-Claire played his works all her life.

A second brother, Olivier Alain (1918-1994) was an organist and director of the conservatory in their birthplace, Saint-Germain-en-Laye.

Marie-Claire Alain recorded the complete organ works of J S Bach no fewer than three time

http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/2013/02/last-of-a-mighty-organ-line.html

:'(

Eric
KB7DQH
The objective is to reach human immortality—that is, to create things which are necessary to mankind, necessary to the purpose of the existence of mankind, and which have become the fruit that drives the creation of a higher state of mankind than ever existed before."

revtonynewnham

Hi

Thanks for posting - it saved me having to do it.  very sad news.

I've added a little to the topic title (with some difficulty with the system) to indicate who is referred to.

Every Blessing

Tony (Moderator)

Holditch

Her performances were an inspiration to me and will be remembered and played for ever

For such a small person she could produce a mighty sound

May she rest in peace

Dubois is driving me mad! must practice practice practice