News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

Emmanuel Church, Farnham, Surrey

Started by Ian van Deurne, March 11, 2013, 02:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian van Deurne

It has just come to my attention that the organ in this church has recently been put up for sale on Ebay and has now been sold, but to where and to whom isn't exactly known.
       This organ was built by William Hill and is of an early date, possibly as early as 1840-50. I believe it is a one-manual and pedal with approx eight ranks of pipes but am not certain. There is a picture of it on the NPOR (DO 4249) but no other details are there. The organ was acquired by this small church c.1902  and has been standing there in original condition ever since, until a few weeks ago when the church decided it was taking up too much room and so replaced it with a digital pipeless monstrosity.
       This is more than a little worrying because of it's age and pedigree, being built by an English organ builder that has an international reputation, so any early instrument by him that is in original condition deserves to be jealously preserved. After several phone calls I have not been able to find out if the organ has been properly dismantled and relocated by a competent organ builder or whether, as I suspect, has been pulled apart by enthusiastic amateurs.
I anyone knows, therefore, of it's whereabouts and what exactly has happened to it I hope they will be able to put my mind at rest. I have heard a rumor that has gone to a church in Winchester, but to which I don't know

Ian van Deurne

Good News!

I have received an update on the status of this organ.

A new home has fortunately been found for it in the Parish Church at Owslebury, near Twyford in Hampshire
The organ is basically in good condition but on installation some leatherwork will replaced as well as some
Kopex conveyancing with traditional lead and the case pipes will also be restored.

Therefore, one happy outcome for a redundant organ at least!

Best Wshes from Ian