News:

If you have difficulty registering for an account on the forum please email antespam@gmail.com. In the question regarding the composer use just the surname, not including forenames Charles-Marie.

Main Menu

House organ started!

Started by matt h, March 30, 2013, 03:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt h

Hi.
As I mentioned in a previous thread, I have finally started building my house organ. I've set up an account on twitter to record progress @The_Organ_Loft if anyone is interested in following. So far I've only made a dozen or so pipes for the 4' rank, but am making steady progress and am pleased with the results so far.

Regards,
Matt.

revtonynewnham

Hi

Hope it all goes well.  Was it you that was in touch about the redundant organ blower I have?

Every Blessing

Tony

matt h

Tony.
It wasn't me, although if it is still gathering dust I'd be interested.
Regards,
Matt.

revtonynewnham

OK - I'll have to track down the person who was interested first and then get back to you.  It's buried at the back of my garage at present.

Every Blessing

Tony

matt h

Thanks Tony, I appreciate that I'm not first in the queue.
Regards,
Matt.

matt h

Hi

I'm still fine tuning the spec of my organ.  So far it's Clarabella 8', Open Flute 4', Nasat 2 2/3' and Flautina 2', with a small scaled Bourdon 16' on the pedals.  I have room for one more small stop, and was thinking of including a Larigot, but am unsure of whether it would add to the ensemble or simply be there because it can be. All stops are of wood, and I thought the small mutation would add brightness, but I don't want it to screech!

Regards,
Matt.

David Drinkell

If it were mine, I'd prefer 1 1/3 and 1 without the 2 2/3, but you know what you want and what your room can take.

matt h

Hi

I hadn't thought about a 1'.  I must admit that having tried the combination of 8', 4' 2 2/3' and 2' on the Allen I play I was having doubts about the Nasat, which was part of the reason for the post.  It is actually quite hard to put together a complete organ when limited to 4 or 5 ranks (+pedal).

Regards,
Matt.

Terz

These wooden stops seem to be all open pipes.  There is more variety to be gained by having one of them made of stopped pipes for the different harmonic series produced.  You may also wish to think about making some of the stops into divided stops so you have a solo line. 
Someone I know with a 2M+P house organ had 8+4 on one manual and 8+2 on the other and now wishes he had swapped the 2 for another 4ft.  As you already have a 2 2/3 do you really need another 3rd sounding rank; perhaps a tierce 1 3/5 would give another tone colour and effectively give you a cornet .  However, 8  4  4  2  11/3 might be best and if there is no room for the bass of a 4ft principal you could always borrow the bottom octave from the flute.  Bear in mind that metal pipes are easier to plant on the soundboard than wooden ones which might need more space. 
At the end of the day it will be a difficult choice so good luck.

matt h

What about combining 1 1/3 and 1 as one compound stop? Then the other four would be the Clarabella 8, Open Flute 4, Stopped Flute 4, Flautina 2'.
This actually saves room as there will be no need for an off note chest for the bottom octave of the OF, as Terz says I would borrow the pipes from the SF.
Regards,
Matt.